JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Disable 2G connection

(Topic created: 07-13-2022 08:49 PM)
dejandb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

With Android 12 it should be possible to disable 2G connections however this is missing from my Galaxy S21+ settings. Is there any way to disable 2G?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
dejandb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I ended up calling T-Mobile support for this and their technical support verified the 2G connection in real-time but they refused to do much since these towers (2G and 3G) will be shut down after today. Apparently the shutdown was not completed on schedule as announced.

View solution in context

5 Replies
moe
Sun
Options
Galaxy S21
No, it is not. However, it doesn't matter as no US networks use 2g anymore. 3g will be phased out by the end of this year.

Meaning it will automatically connect to the lowest available mode on your network.
0 Likes
Satellite-Explorer
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Exactly, so that's why samsung didn't include a option, there's no point, and 3g might also have it's lever removed eventually
0 Likes
dejandb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I agree that there are no legitimate 2G networks but there are enough in my area so occasionally my phone does connect to one. So I still need the option.

(Correcting the above statement).

I did dig deeper and in Palo Alto, CA there are still 2G T-Mobile towers (this is the link to the exact one that my phone sometimes connects to - https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310&MNC=260&type=GSM&latitude=37.41001163640719&longitude=-122.11...)

------

When it was introduced in Android 12 this was exactly the use case - to prevent the phone from connecting to stinger and other types of non-official 2G networks

0 Likes
Solution
dejandb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I ended up calling T-Mobile support for this and their technical support verified the 2G connection in real-time but they refused to do much since these towers (2G and 3G) will be shut down after today. Apparently the shutdown was not completed on schedule as announced.

satchelwary
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Yes, you can find if there are 2g towers in your area with www.celltowermaps.com then from there go to your phones settings and switch off 2g

0 Likes