JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 FE switched carriers in the US -- will I still get software updates?

(Topic created: 06-10-2023 08:53 PM)
jimcnelis
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have a S21 FE Model code SM-G990UZAEVZW. I originally purchased it from samsung.com configured for the Verizon network. The CSC code is still set to VZW. I recently changed carriers from Verizon to T-Mobile. The CSC hasn't changed since I put in the new T-Mo SIM card and when I boot up I still see the Verizon logo. The phone seems to be working ok, wifi calling works as well as video calling. When I'm getting 5G signal, the display only says "5G" (as opposed to "5G UC" like other Samsung phones on T-Mobile show).

My main question is: will I continue to receive software updates correctly being on the wrong CSC? I was on the latest software version  from Verizon (May 2023) before switching SIM cards in late May.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@jimcnelis It sounds like your phone has VZW firmware installed. Therefore when you check for SW updates, it will look for a VZW firmware update. Unfortunately, it will not find that on the T-Mobile update servers. 

The 2 solutions are:

• Temporarily install a VZW SIM card even if it has no service. Installing the SIM card will change the update servers back to VZW. Then on Wifi when you check for a SW update, you will be looking on the VZW servers for the correct firmware.
  • Reflash the phone with the unlocked firmware or T-Mobile firmware. (Flashing of firmware is not supported in this forum.)

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@jimcnelis It sounds like your phone has VZW firmware installed. Therefore when you check for SW updates, it will look for a VZW firmware update. Unfortunately, it will not find that on the T-Mobile update servers. 

The 2 solutions are:

• Temporarily install a VZW SIM card even if it has no service. Installing the SIM card will change the update servers back to VZW. Then on Wifi when you check for a SW update, you will be looking on the VZW servers for the correct firmware.
  • Reflash the phone with the unlocked firmware or T-Mobile firmware. (Flashing of firmware is not supported in this forum.)
0 Likes
jimcnelis
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the latest TMB firmware from sammobile

I flashed the BL, AP, CP, and CSC files using Odin 3.14. Acutally I first flashed it with the HOME_CSC (which didn't change anything after restart) then flashed again using the CSC file.

Either way, the end result is the same: I still end up on the Verizon firmware.

When it first reboots after flashing with Odin using the CSC file, Android won't start correctly, I get the error linked below. I can't get Android to start unless I perform the factory data reset. Then Android boots properly, but it's back on the Verizon firmware.

photo of Android boot error: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hP4CH6ZHZBwYcPD47

0 Likes
kimberleigh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Have Tmobile configure your phone to get updates, but you should be able to manually install them when there available.
0 Likes
jimcnelis
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

“Have Tmobile configure your phone to get updates”

How? What specifically do you mean? I’ve reached out to T-Mobile tech support and they told me they do not flash firmware. I called a few local T-Mobile local stores and they told me the same - they won’t flash firmware on my phone.

0 Likes
kimberleigh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
It's in your settings. When I worked for Tmo , I had other customers with the same issue. You don't have to flash firmware. Take it to an actual store and ask them.
0 Likes