JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Multiple Security Updates in Succession

(Topic created: 10-01-2022 09:17 AM)
xkatchy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have a Galaxy S21+ on Verizon. I had an update come through mid-September that I put off for a bit (I'm still wary after the summer update broke my ability to take calls). I finally downloaded it on 9/27 (G996USQU5CVH8). A day later I had a new update notification which seemed odd. I deferred that as well but downloaded today (G996USQS5CVHB). 10 minutes after my phone finished restarting from that, I now have ANOTHER update to download (G996USQS5CVI8). Why so many so quickly? Am I behind for some reason or would they all be for different things? This just seems incredibly odd and I'm afraid of losing call features again or something else being affected from a bad update.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Just an FYI.  Carrier Locked phones get all their updates from the specific carrier so there is an extra step in the test and release process.  Unlocked phones, no matter which carrier  you are using, get their updates directly from Samsung. 

My S21U which is a pre-order Verizon Locked from Verizon, has not experienced any of the madness that you see on the forums.  It has been flawless.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor

View solution in context

10 Replies
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Probably best to go Unlocked

Some updates are carrier specific

We have two s21s and two s22s , all Unlocked, and we have not had the proliferation of updates as some are are reporting (the standard one a month, plus an extra ... obviously to address an immediate issue)

One person even stated they got seven updates within a couple weeks ... of course, they posted a late weekend night, so other factors may have influenced that post
Options
Galaxy S21
CVI8 is October Patch
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

My VZW Locked Ultra only received the September update and the October update.   The VH8 update is not listed or delivered for the Ultra. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
xkatchy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks everyone. I installed the CVI8 update and nothing new has come through since. Was just shocked at how quickly I had so many. I was unaware that updates can be carrier specific. 

0 Likes
Solution
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Just an FYI.  Carrier Locked phones get all their updates from the specific carrier so there is an extra step in the test and release process.  Unlocked phones, no matter which carrier  you are using, get their updates directly from Samsung. 

My S21U which is a pre-order Verizon Locked from Verizon, has not experienced any of the madness that you see on the forums.  It has been flawless.

Bill
---
xkatchy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm paying for the phone through Verizon monthly, though. Can it BE unlocked in that situation? I also don't want to break or void anything with the phone. I'm a little more tech-savvy than the average user but I'm by no means proficient with these things. Hence the post in the first place haha. 

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

If you read the Verizon policy regarding locked phones, they state that they unlock all phones after 6 weeks and they make no mention of payment plans.  One would think that a way they can assure that they have their hooks into you if you've not finished paying off the phone would be to keep it lock until you own it but I don't know if that is the case. 

*this is just my personal opion.*  In the old days when phones had 1 gig or ram and 16 gigs of storage and more primative SOC's,  there was a good case that "Bloatware" limited the ability to load the apps that you wanted.  Nowadays, my phone has 16gigs of ram and 512 gigs of storage and Bloatware doesn't matter at all.  What matters to me is having a local belly button that I can go to if I have an issue, having all the features that my carrier offers, and having that extra layer of testing.  Actually locked or Unlocked by the carrier doesn't matter to me as long as the aforementioned features apply. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
xkatchy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Interesting. Well I definitely have far too many pictures I'm unwilling to delete and the one update came with apps I didnt ask for (plus other apps have been around I never use). I'll do some research on unlocking. Thanks for the knowledge!

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

One more thing, having Verizon unlock you phone does not give you the same firmware as an unlocked phone, you still have Verizon firmware but you can go to another carrier if you want and possibly the ability to delete some of their pre installed apps.  To get the Unlocked firmware basleine, you'd have to flash that firmware onto your phone. 

Bill
---
0 Likes