JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 Ultra plays recorded video correctly but my computer does not recognize video as an mp4

(Topic created: 12-02-2022 06:40 PM)
acs4cert
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

While recently on travel I was unexpectedly caught in a rain storm, my S21 Ultra got a bit damp, not wet, just damp. Several days later after arriving back home I discovered that all videos (MP4) taken after the rain exposure will correctly play on my S21 Ultra (both audio and video) but when I download them to my computer it does not recognize the file as an mp4 video (like the video is corrupted). All the video's recorded prior to the rain exposure play on my S21 and the computer without issue.
Tried emailing the mp4 vid. to my computer and direct connecting my S21 to the computer via a USB cable, not change.  Tried updating the software on the S21 (ver. G998UOYN5DVK3/G998USQU5DVK3), did not resolve the issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
acs4cert
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

I have routinely been using MS Video Player, just down loaded the HEVC Vid. Extension from MS, all is good now.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Do you have "show file extensions" enabled on your pc so you can confirm the files still show as being mp4s? What happens if you change the extension to mkv and try to play them then on the pc?
acs4cert
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for your input.

The file extension is shown on all files on my computer, and yes the ext. is "mp4".  I changed one of the problem files that the vid. does not show (audio only) to mkv ext. and tried to play.  No change.  Then I changed back to mp4, no change.  Also, as I mentioned, all previous vids from my S21 (pre-rain storm) are fine.  These vids recorded pre-rainstorm are fine, they play on the cell phone and my computer.

Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Mp3? Your original post said mp4. Are they video or audio files?
acs4cert
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Sorry, typo, I meant to type "MP4".

Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
What player are you using on the pc to try to play the files?
0 Likes
Solution
acs4cert
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

I have routinely been using MS Video Player, just down loaded the HEVC Vid. Extension from MS, all is good now.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes