JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why have a 50mp sensor when using the full 50mp is so difficult?

(Topic created: 07-20-2023 11:49 AM)
hrifraf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Why have a 50mp sensor when using the 50mp mode is so difficult?

To use the full sensor on the main camera, we need to select the 4:3 aspect ratio with 50mp option.  Fine so far.  But if we do that then the other two cameras are inaccessible. 

To switch from the main camera at 50mp to the telephoto, for example, requires three taps. Two taps to change the aspect ratio, another to select telephoto.

This action should not require more than one tap.

Am I missing something?  Why is this so difficult?  I should be able to switch between the three cameras with one tap for each, and the main camera should always default to the full 50mp sensor.

Why would the main camera default to 10mp when the sensor is capable of 50?

As it is, I find the camera awkward and time consuming to use in real life.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
hrifraf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

The solution to the problem I outlined in my first post turned out to be easy, actually.  Just needed to download the ExpertRaw camera app.  This app does a lot of things, and one of them is to allow seamless one-click moving between hi-res and low-res options.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
Because of the higher resolution, more time and processing power is needed, so the camera is switching to a dedicated mode that's optimized around the 50mpx sensor.

Truth be told, the higher resolution isn't really netting you that much unless you really like zooming in on stuff, the cameras are primarily optimized around shooting in pixel binning mode. The reason it shoots in 10mpx is because it's basically treating every 5x pixels in the sensor as a single larger pixel, which allows for more light and (in theory) more accurate color. It's also more space efficient as 50mpx photos are pretty huge.
0 Likes
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23
Remember to use the camera assiant and allow auto lens switching. You also have your quick toggle by touching the top when in camera Screenshot_20230720_121931_Camera.jpgScreenshot_20230720_121753_Camera Assistant.jpg
spoospaa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
The 50-megapixel camera produces a 12-megapixel shot because it uses pixel binning. Pixel Binning combines pixels so that you get fewer pixels, But more color information in each pixel. This produces better low-light shots. It also Uses less space because 50-megapixel shots are pretty big. Hope this helps!
0 Likes
hrifraf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Pixel binning might be great, but really - photos taken with the 50mp option are much, much more detailed than 10mp with the binning.  The problem I have described in my original post is a real issue, and no solution has been provided by anyone. 

There might be some sort of workaround out there but I haven't found it yet.

Solution
hrifraf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

The solution to the problem I outlined in my first post turned out to be easy, actually.  Just needed to download the ExpertRaw camera app.  This app does a lot of things, and one of them is to allow seamless one-click moving between hi-res and low-res options.

0 Likes