JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S24 Bricking up after using USB Tethering

(Topic created: 08-09-2024 10:56 AM)
Crouton18
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

This has happened twice now with 2 different phones so I'm sure its an issue with the product as a whole or software of the device.

The first time, when I took my phone off the charging cable connected to my computer, it just went dead. Completely unresponsive. Took it to a shop and they said it wasnt even pulling a charge when plugged in.

Screen was blank, battery was full (it had just come off a charger), power button didnt work, plugging it in didnt wake it up, you cant connect bluetooth, calling it wont wake it up, wasn't overheated.

I think I tried everything, and eventually settled on calling on my warrenty for a replacement device.

The phone did end up turning on again 2 days after it died, when I assume the battery had fully drained, which is what i'm going to test this time. 

I don't know exactly what causes this, but it has to do with USB Tethering.

Basically, DONT USE USB TETHERING if you want to be able to use your phone.

I am posting this here because this is the only place I've been able to find somewhere where I can report errors like this apart from the app, which I obviously cannot use right now since my phone is currently roleplaying a rock. If someone knows of a more official channel where I can report this issue please let me know.

3 Replies
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

I am not seeing the logic on how you have determined that the device is defective.  You tried this on 1 computer. 1. To me it sounds like you have successfully determined that this is a fault of your computer as 2 out of 2 devices have failed on it.  I am also not seeing the second device failing in the actual breakdown, or how tethering was even involved.

0 Likes
Crouton18
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

If it is an issue with my computer, how would it render the phone completely unresponsive? Why does it only happen when I'm using my Hotspot via tethering? 

The phones are not failing on the computer, they fail when you unplug them from the computer, after sharing your wifi via tethering. It hasn't happened every time I tethered, but it has happened twice. 

As for testing this on multiple computers, I will happily do so when it doesn't cause a major inconvenience and render the phone unusable for days at a time.

If anything is still unclear, please let me know and I can try and give a better description

0 Likes
Solution
Crouton18
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Just as I thought, this morning when I held down the power button again it showed a dead battery (before it did nothing) and woke up when it was plugged in. This is an issue, I hope its addressed, but for now if anyone else has this problem this worked for me

0 Likes