cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Samsung Portable SSD Software Doesn't Work on New M1 MacBook

I've recently gotten the new M1 MacBook and apparently, the Portable SSD will show up as "No Samsung Portable SSD is connected." So I have no way now to access my T5 SSD. Anyone else having this issue with the new MacBooks?

On another note, I think Smart Switch doesn't work as well.

8 REPLIES 8
Constellation

Re: Samsung Portable SSD Software Doesn't Work on New M1 MacBook

i am having similat issue. my T5 works fine on my old macbook and mac mini until i recently bought the M1 mac mini. Now it shows failed to mount. 

Astronaut

Yes same here, still no solution from Samsung, its software does not work on Mac and it's been like this for more than a year. I'm using the T7 and I can't use the password functionality and they haven't updated the software and support pretty much stinks

@itsdadanial wrote:

I've recently gotten the new M1 MacBook and apparently, the Portable SSD will show up as "No Samsung Portable SSD is connected." So I have no way now to access my T5 SSD. Anyone else having this issue with the new MacBooks?

On another note, I think Smart Switch doesn't work as well.

Hello Samsung Community members,

At Samsung we value customer feedback and are always working on improving ourselves and our customer’s experiences. 

We apologize for the inconvenience that some users have reported while trying to use the latest Samsung Portable SSD software 1.6.7 or 1.7.2 version in the newly released M1 Chip embedded MAC system.
Samsung is investigating suspicious symptoms and will keep you posted on our progress.
We appreciate your patience while we work on resolving the issue.

Astronaut

I have two Samsung T5 (1TB and 2TB SSD)  and two Samsung T7 2TB SSDs.  All four SSD CANNOT operate with my M1 Macbook Air using the Samsung Encryption Software.  I had to go back to an older Intel MBP to turn off/disable the Samsung password encryption permanently just to be able to use my T5 SSD on the new M1 Mac running Big Sur iOS.  Essentially I cannot use the Samsung encryption software, which was a nice extra layer to have and one of the main reasons why I bought these SSDs at the first place.  The Samsung software I am running is up to date, version 1.6.7 for the T5 and 1.0 for the T7.  I am plugging the SSD directly into the laptop port, not a hub but SSD would not show up (see attached photos).  Yes I have went to System Preferences and clicked on the security to allowed Samsung software to be allowed to work/install on the macbook.   Macbook Finder sees both of the SSD but the Samsung software will not see the SSDs.   I am using the softwares unencrypted and created some password encrypted volumes with mac Disk Utilities.  Though this is a good technique and the encryption is good and ensures future compatibility with the mac but I find the data transfter with Samsung Software encryption to be faster.  Anyways...I hope a software fix comes soon. Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.54.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.54.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.57.34 PM.png

Astronaut

I got the same problem. 

when do you think it will be ready for updating the software?

Astronaut

just bought a new ssd X5, and macbook M1, i can install the software, but the software can not connect to it. the harddisk is visable in the system.

Astronaut

@Memory Product Expert -1  - Can you provide a status on this issue?

Astronaut

Same issue. New MacBook Pro M1 and new 1tb T7. Moving over from a windows machine. Drive works fine with security turned off but software won't recognize drive with security turned on. Glad I still have my windows machine to turn security back off on the drive. Thinking of returning the T7 for another option.