Original topic:

Samsung Start M7 Monitor USB Hub Functionality

(Topic created: 08-17-2021 05:31 AM)
userz5XvjHG4U7
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

I recently saw this video which give a good demo of Samsung's M7 Monitor that was actually Sponsored by Samsung:

https://youtu.be/qGs9H2cd-sI

I noticed at at 6:50 in the video it demonstrates plugging in a wireless USB keyboard dongle into the monitor and then plugging in a laptop via USB-C and the mouse works flawlessly via the laptop.

I cannot get this to work - any thoughts on how to setup?

Thanks - Scott

Thanks to Samsung for sponsoring today's video! Check out the 32M70A at https://lmg.gg/UsVAM Samsung monitors and Samsung TVs are about to get a whole lot more similar! The "Smart Monitor" UHD 32M70A is a 4K monitor with smartTV apps built-in, plus screen sharing, mirroring, and remote desktop ...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
useriuTChfVbUz
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

There are three usb ports on the back of the of the M7 monitor, one of them is marked service. Try using one of the other two ports, I have tested using a mouse plugged into one of them and it connects the signal with the USB-C going back to my laptop.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
Solution
useriuTChfVbUz
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

There are three usb ports on the back of the of the M7 monitor, one of them is marked service. Try using one of the other two ports, I have tested using a mouse plugged into one of them and it connects the signal with the USB-C going back to my laptop.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Personally I would open up my M7 User Manual and review the USB section instructions and options.

0 Likes
useremYY1GvFgT
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

The USB type A ports at the back are by default set up to be for use by the M7 Monitor itself.

For moving to the use of the device(laptop or any other computer) , using the remote go to home screen

-> Menu -> Settings -> All Settings -> Connection -> External Device Manager

Here set the option for "USB Source setup"  from Auto or Monitor to USB-C. (see image below)

With this the USB-C gets ownership of the USB A ports.

Note that this worked for 2 of the 3 USB ports on my M7 and not for all 3. So its a bit of trial and error.

samsung_m7_usb-c.jpg

0 Likes
useruI8WYm5rcm
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Strange.. I don't have this "USB Source setup" menu item in my "External Device Manager" Menu. Do I need to enable it somehow?

What's your device (mine: M7 32") or software version (mine: 2301)?

Earlier one of the USB ports did work for me and I could connect a USB mouse dongle and it would work with my MacBook - but recently it doesn't anymore..

Any help appreciated.

0 Likes
usergKPDFjU6CB
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same here - I don't have that setup menu either with the same software update.  Perhaps they removed that connectivity with one of the updates.  I just did a chat with Samsung support and the rep said a camera is not compatible.  Perhaps they removed this capability to encourage sales of the newer M8 monitor with a built-in camera.

0 Likes