Original topic:

M8 Hub question

(Topic created: 08-04-2022 09:35 AM)
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

I currently have a DeX setup using my Tab S8 Ultra and an HD monitor.  I connect via a USB-C hub which has built in HDMI and 1gE for the tablet.

If I had the M8, I would connect to it with USB-C and would like to plug my current hub into the Samsung Hub and connect the 1gE through the hub to my tablet.  Will this work?

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
In that configuration, you would still need a connection between the tab itself, and the hub connected to the monitor, yes. I misunderstood that you were trying to eliminate one of the hubs i think. I got a replacement hub that contains usb-c hardwire for main device connection, hdmi, ethernet, usb-a, usb-c port, and display, so i was able to condense it all down to one hub. The hub can also be independently powered to allow the phone/tab to charge

View solution in context

10 Replies
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
Yes, this works. I've done this with my S22 Ultra also. I have noticed the refresh rate lagging a bit in this configuration. Switching the device connection directly to the hub that is connected to the TV/monitor seems to resolve the issue.
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

Interesting.  I;m not sure if my  hub, which has HDMI connector, can use the usbc data connection for video as well....is that what you're suggesting you need to do

?  Device->ext hub->monitor usbc-video in

Thanks

And do you like the M8?

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

And honestly, there is zero lag in my current setup so if the M7 is an adequate monitor, I would connect it via HDMI like currently, and at $329 it's tempting.  

Bill
---
0 Likes
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
Is the 1ge coming from a phone or a router?
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

Router

Bill
---
0 Likes
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
Unless you need the ports from the additional hub, you can simply just device>hub>hdmi to display, and add ethernet cable to hub. This depends on the layouut of your particular hub, of course.
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

That's how I do it now, I was just trying to determine of I could get away with only the USB-c from my Tab to the monitor, and then hang my current USB c hub off the back of the monitor (hub) and pass it's 1gE to my tab.

Bill
---
0 Likes
Solution
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
In that configuration, you would still need a connection between the tab itself, and the hub connected to the monitor, yes. I misunderstood that you were trying to eliminate one of the hubs i think. I got a replacement hub that contains usb-c hardwire for main device connection, hdmi, ethernet, usb-a, usb-c port, and display, so i was able to condense it all down to one hub. The hub can also be independently powered to allow the phone/tab to charge
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

hub that contains usb-c hardwire for main device connection, hdmi, ethernet, usb-a, usb-c port, and display, so i was able to condense it all down to one hub. The hub can also be independently powered to allow the phone/tab to charge

OK, that is my current setup into an Asus 1080p monitor so no matter what I buy, I will stay with that.

I just realized that I have $228 in Samsung credit which makes my decision a little tougher.  They are selling the M7 at $277 so my out of pocket would be $49 and the M8 at $539 would be $301

Since I'm not going to be able to take advantage of any of the new connection features on the M8 and I don't need the camera because of the Tab S8U, I can cross those off as added value.  I do like the stand and thin design of the M8 and some of the added smart features but how much better is the M8 display I wonder.  100nits better brightness, is that the main display fifference, that and HDR10+ vs 10??

Thoughts anyone?

Bill
---
0 Likes