cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useru3isikqiFY
Asteroid

T5 SSD not working with macOS 10.15 Catalina

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I get the message that "This software is not compatible with this version macOS."  I know that Catalina is still technically in beta, but it's about to be released and if Samsing doesn't patch their software soon, there will be a lot more people that can't access their SSD.  Please fix so I can access my data.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userW97nBx6ON5
Constellation

Re: T5 SSD not working with macOS 10.15 Catalina

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,
Samsung is currently preparing an update for its T5 to make there software compatible with Catalina. Release date : end of november.
Here is a screenshot of their answer on their facebook page (facebook.com/SamsungSSD/posts/3147906525283627?comment_id=3203406513066961&notif_id=1573104085106691&notif_t=feed_comment ): Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 09.41.13.png

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Samsung_R7JXzEr
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

https://www what your advice to me!@

userRreMRnzXUW
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I already mentioned this a few months ago...nothing changed, no updates or patches. Made my both T5 SSD's useless therefore my backup is more than 90 days old. Not so funny. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi useru3isikqiFY,

Can you provide a screenshot or picture of the error you received?  

useru3isikqiFY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Untitled.pngThis is from the software on the device.  It also happens when I use the 1.6.4 version I downloaded from Samsung.Untitled2.png

uservqY6E7pwir
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's time for an update Ladies and Gentlemen!

In the last weeks, you talked about THE BETA Version of Catalina. 

NOW it's an official MacOS so please update, so we can use our very expensive SSD's.

In my business, we are using more than 20 T5 SSD's which means we'd have to change them with another Supplier of SSD's like WD......

Thank you

user0vYKqPFMtn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

my T5 SSD will not work with my iMac running macOS Catalina.  I must be able to get to my files on the T5 and I want it to work again.  What is going on here Samsung? I need technical support to solve this with step by step instructions to resolve this matter.  I want cause and corrective action as to why Samsung let this happen to T5 SSD Users it didnt work with the last update in mac os mojave and now it wont work with Catalina this is going on for over FOUR Months!  what can we do to make it work and not lose the backup files that I have on it?  Please answer fast I must get this working thank you 

useru3isikqiFY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So... I pretty much solved this for myself.  Their software is junk, doesn't work with Catalina, however, I just used my virtual Windows machine (because I couldn't even get my mac to register the dam SSD), formatted the whole disk to exFat then plugged it into my MacBook. The MacBook then was able to see the device, so I reformatted it to the APFS Encrypted file system and am now able to use it AND have it password protected without having to rely on Samsung's software.

Unfortunately for those of you with data already on your SSD that you can't access, this won't help.  What I suggest, is to install a macOS virtual machine with the previous version of macOS, and retrieve your data, then reformat the whole thing to the APFS Encrypted file system and do away with the Samsung software altogether.

If you are not familiar with Virtual Machines, I suggest downloading Parallels Desktop.  It is a fantastic and easy to use virtual machine system that already has mac and windows environments.  If you are familiar with them, VirtualBox from Oracle will do as well.

userGmLFzYmdXV
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My temporary solution for now: 

1. Plug it to a Windows machine
  2. Enter password, go to settings, turn off encryption
  3. In my case it told me to update to version 1.6.5, did that as well

If I plug it now into my Mac again the Samsung software does not show up, I can just directly access my files. So at least I can continue working like usual for now. 

For sure this is not a real solution, I will take a look from time to time and see if there is an update for the mac drivers as well ... 

userPqFsz2OuT0
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

...so, what did updating to 1.6.5 do for you?