JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Smart Remote Does Not Mute or Control Volume with Sony AV Receiver via Optical

(Topic created: 01-22-2022 08:15 AM)
userPa42QncGJU
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

With my new Neo QLED 4K (2021) QN85 with the solar smart remote, I am unable to control the volume or mute my connected Sony AV Receiver STR-DE698. The receiver and the TV are connected via Optical cable and when I press the volume button to mute or press the button up or down to change volume, the image of the Optical device appears on the left side of the screen. My other remotes (Apple TV, Harmony Hub, Sony Receiver, and previous Sharp TV) all previously connected via optical cable do not have this problem. On the learn screen for the remote the buttons function correctly (although do nothing to change the volume)).

Is there some way to teach the TV to recognize the Volume commands from the Samsung remote? What else can I do to prevent using yet another remote?

4 Replies
userPa42QncGJU
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Just spam. No replies. No support. The Facebook support answered immediately and "solved" the problem (the AV Receiver needs to connect with HDMI and mine has no such ports).

userA428teebS8
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Samsung TV could control the volume going out via optical at least in PCM mode. Adding this feature to the firmware might be problematic due to the recent takeover of the company by Kim Jong-un's uncle.

0 Likes
ETorbert
Halo
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have recently had success with an inexpensive  Mini RCA to HDMI converter bought on Amazon connecting my Sony STRAV500 to a 55-inch Samsung Q70A. Volume control with Samsung Smart TV SolarCell remote works perfectly.

0 Likes
Solution
userPa42QncGJU
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Actually, I found a solution (partial - sound adjustment now works but power on and off does not) by accident.

Home -> Source -> Universal Remote -> Universal Remote Setup -> New Device (e.g. Sony -> STR-DE698 - I had to enter the code and then scroll and scroll and scroll till my receiver model actually showed up) -> Select Home Theater Configuration -> Optical. And then it has you test On-Off, and I had to do that a couple times till the remote worked and since then the volume works for my receiver, BUT when I turn on the TV the receiver does not go on and does not go off when I turn the TV off. So, I have my old Logitech Hub remote set to turn the TV and receiver on and off, and that sets up Alexa to I don't use the remote to turn on/off the TV.