JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Confusing Model Numbers

(Topic created: 11-12-2021 08:10 AM)
user2052MQOisc
Constellation
Options
Tablets

My old Samsung Elipsis tablet died.  Since my smart phone does almost everything the tablet did, I really didn't need a new tablet, except it was nice to use a tablet for Garmin Pilot bluetoothed to the Garmin 750 in the plane.  Plus for me, it's easier to type on a larger keyboard.

So I stopped in Verizon to see about upgrades, etc.  They recommended a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, even tho it is 4G rather than 5G.  Normal price is $200, but if I bought it in the store, they'd give me $50 off.  But if I ordered it on-line for pickup in the store I'd get $100 off.  Fair enough.

So I went home and dug around in Verizon's web site, and after a while found it.  I was going to place the order, but the web site said I couldn't pick it up at either of the two local Verizon stores, - I'd have to drive 50 miles.  Huh????  The web site kept popping up with a chat request, so I did.  After I spent about 15 minutes explaining everything to the tech, he verified that I could not pick it up at the local stores.  Didn't know why.  Then the web site timed out.

So started another chat with another tech (they said it was not possible to return to the original tech).  Explained everything again.  He said I could order it with him and get the $100 price, so I proceeded.  Then he noticed I was on a shared data plan with my wife, and said I'd have to change to an unlimited plan to get the $100 price.  I asked how much?  He said $80 per month!!!!!!!  So I'd be spending an extra $80 per month forever in order to save $50 one time!!  At that point I was so disgusted I told him to cancel everything, and also delete the phone number I had on the old tablet.  He convinced me instead of deleting the phone line, to suspend it until Jan 22, which I did in case I wanted to get a new tablet.

Went home and just for curiosity Googled, etc.  Found Best Buy had the Tab A7 Lite for $117 with free shipping, plus they had the accessories (case, screen protector, etc.) which Verizon did not.  It arrived in two days, and I began copying stuff from my phone to the A7.  Some things worked and some didn't, but got emails, etc., working.

Then I went to Verizon to have the sim chip from my Elipsis transferred to the A7.  Of course, not compatible.  Verizon brought out the appropriate chip.  However the area of the little carrier that holds the sim chip was solid plastic, but where a data chip goes it it was ok.  Verizon couldn't figure it out.  Manufacturing defect?

Recommended I take it to Best Buy.  Took it to the Geeks who know everything.  They couldn't figure it out.  Even got a supervisor.  They recommended taking it to the wireless people in the store.  They couldn't figure it out either but did some digging with model numbers, serial numbers, etc., and concluded my A7 was WiFi ONLY!!!!!!!  Best Buy doesn't even sell a wireless version!!!!  Grrrrrrrrrrrr.  Why the hedoublehockysticks would a manufacturer produce two different devices with the SAME model number?????

I checked my on-line receipt and it said "A7 with WiFi".  I took that to mean wireless PLUS WiFi.  If it instead had said, "WiFi ONLY" I would have known.

Gave up and went to the sales counter to get a refund.  But the serial number on the device didn't match their records.  Had to get a supervisor to override.  Then they wanted to do a factory reset to erase everything I had put on it.  Wouldn't work.  Had to take it back to the Geek Squad who knew how to do a work-around reset.  Finally got my refund.

Then went back to Verizon to return the unused sim chip.  They suggested also to not cancel the tablet phone line yet, but wait a month or so and the holiday specials will be coming out.  Maybe I can get a 5G version at a good price????

So about a day and half totally wasted.

Bottom line:  Why would Samsung produce TWO devices with the SAME model number, but totally different characteristics?  Why not have two different model numbers?  Or, at least, require in advertisements that the advertised model is WIFI ONLY, or is WIFI AND CELL.  As it is, it would be like buying a Ford F-150, one is complete, and another comes without an engine.

2 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

@user2052MQOisc Unfortunately it can be confusing. Technically the both have the same name (Tab A7) but they do have different model numbers - SM-T500 (Wi-Fi only); SM-T505 (LTE)

Kind of like buying a car. Say you buy a Mustang. There are several different Mustang models with different engines:  V8, V6, etc. The cars have the same name, just different model numbers. 

user2052MQOisc
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Yes, I understand.  BUT obviously neither Verizon nor the Best Buy Geeks knew about it, so how is the average consumer supposed to know????

Verne

0 Likes