JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy tab S6 CANNOT ROTATE SCREEN

(Topic created: 07-18-2023 04:06 AM)
GracieAllen
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I'm at the level of frustration that's one step before smashing this thing, so...

Tablet is updated and runs fine.  In an App, I rotated the screen from portrait to landscape.  Whatever I used in the app to do the rotation IS missing so I CANNOT USE THAT TO ROTATE IT BACK.

I've LOOKED THROUGH TABLET SETTINGS 'til I'm cross-eyed.

I've swiped down from the top of the screen 827 times and gotten the display of "quick whatever" icons.  THERE IS NO ROTATE ICON.  I've pressed the "three buttons" to add the rotate icon.  THERE IS NO ROTATE ICON.  EVERYTHING I've read SHOWS a rotate icon and tells me HOW EASY it is to add if it's MISSING. 

There is NO "rotate" or "portrait" or "landscape" icon anywhere, in ANY "Available" or any other list that I can find.

HOW do I make this thing rotate?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

When the screen has been rotated the button says either Landscape or Portrait, not Auto.  If you have that button taping it will return it to Auto. 

In the latest version of Android, that icon is a pad lock.  Tap that to return it to Auto

bille_0-1689705530448.jpeg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
Sprocket99
Comet
Options
Tablets
Never seen no rotate button but I guess you just don't have one.

There's a slim chance you can rotate using the popup rotate button that briefly appears on the Android navigation bar if its available on that thing when rotating.

Otherwise, can't help you. Everything has a rotate button.
0 Likes
Solution
bill-e
Options
Tablets

When the screen has been rotated the button says either Landscape or Portrait, not Auto.  If you have that button taping it will return it to Auto. 

In the latest version of Android, that icon is a pad lock.  Tap that to return it to Auto

bille_0-1689705530448.jpeg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
GracieAllen
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Thanks for the replies...

I'm now COMPLETELY baffled.  I had NO button.  No padlock.  No auto-Rotate.  I checked.  My WIFE checked.  I had a screen that appeared by dragging down from the top of the screen.  It has the time, date, "Device control", "Media output" and a bunch of "buttons" with text labels under them.  The one's that are selected are blue, the others grey.  The buttons are in TWO rows 'cause it's in landscape mode.  In the TOP row of buttons, 4th from the left was a button marked "Sync".  I never "Sync" anything.  I could swipe to a second screen of buttons, that ALSO had nothing for rotating.

There was NO button with a padlock that says "Landscape" or "Portrait" or "Auto Rotate".  Not in any spot.  Not in either row.  If I clicked the 3 dots and selected "Edit buttons", I got two additional rows of gray buttons and I could swipe and see a second screen of gray buttons I could add.

Nothing, in any spot on any screen of "Available buttons" OR "Touch and hold to move buttons" had ANYTHING to do with rotating the screen. 

I cannot say it's TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE for BOTH of us to miss the button, but it's unlikely after a half dozen examinations while knowing what the button SHOULD look like and having TEXT under it.

I updated Android this morning.  I rebooted the tablet.  I went out and spent over an hour looking at information on "how to rotate the Galaxy Tab S6", and watching VIDEOS that showed the "auto-Rotate" and padlock buttons.  Showed all of THAT to my wife.  We BOTH went through all the buttons again.  NOTHING there, NOTHING available.

Finally, I put the topic in here and put the thing away until a few minutes ago.

Read the replies in here, decided to go through the whole thing AGAIN, dragged the screen down and the button marked "Sync" is GONE from the screen (it's NEVER been used so I'm not sure why it was ON the screen), and in the 4th spot of the 1st row is a button clearly marked "Landscape".  Showed it to my wife.  She ALSO insists it was NOT there six hours ago.

I didn't reset anything, I didn't change anything, I didn't reboot the tablet again.  BUT, instead of Sync, there's not a button for rotating the screen.

I didn't fix it, but it's fixed (at least 'til the next time it loses it's mind), so thanks.

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

Great News! 

Years ago (like 50) I was into RC Airplanes and I used to build them down in my playroom on a large table.  Many times things I had just used would dissappear and I would spend hours looking for it.  I used to call it Reverse Hallucination - Not seeing something that's there.  

Mind you this was physical objects and not electronics which makes it more difficult to understand but it happened to me all the time. I'm not saying that this happened to you but it just brought back and old memory.... I feel your pain 🙂 

Bill
---
0 Likes