JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Explanation on the new Smart Tag 2?

(Topic created: 10-05-2023 08:02 AM)
Scf
Galaxy
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I read through the press release for the new Smart Tag that is being released this month, and I'm trying to understand how similar it will be to the Apple AirTag. When I read up on the AirTag, it said that it can be tracked anywhere due to Apple's network... will that be the case with this new Smart Tag and Samsung's network? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
The same is true of the Airtag. Other phones that opt in can identify your Airtag or Smart Tag when it passes in range and report it to the tracking service. Neither the Airtag or Smart Tags have global satellite connectivity for world wide tracking. Their signals must be picked up on by another Bluetooth receiving device.

View solution in context

6 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Apple's Network = other people's iPhones

Samsung's network = other Samsung phones

It's already available on current Smart Tags.
0 Likes
Scf
Galaxy
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I was under the impression that the first Smart Tag would not track after it was out of Bluetooth range. Is that not so?
The first Smart tags had pretty bad reviews in general.
0 Likes
Solution
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
The same is true of the Airtag. Other phones that opt in can identify your Airtag or Smart Tag when it passes in range and report it to the tracking service. Neither the Airtag or Smart Tags have global satellite connectivity for world wide tracking. Their signals must be picked up on by another Bluetooth receiving device.
Scf
Galaxy
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Oh, ok, I understand now, thanks for carrying l clarifying 👍🏾👍🏾
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I have the Samsung Smart Tag Plus BTW, not the first gen Smart Tag.
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
The first gen Smart Tag was discontinued awhile ago.
0 Likes