Original topic:

Upgrading R700 Aura T9300 notebook

(Topic created: 11-15-2022 12:25 AM)
Zambezi
Constellation
Options
Computers

Hi,

I got the following issue: I want to upgrade my (very) old R700 T9300 notebook, currently Running Windows 10 64 with 4 GB RAM (original build) and the original HDD. I use that PC usually as a client to remotely connect to others, so I don't need any big upgrade and it does the job as a "big display with decent keyboard" quite well.

With two exceptions:
1. Sometimes, but not that often, the RAM gets close to 100 %, so I'd like to upgrade that to 8 GB RAM. I already tried to google the mainboard specs, but couldn't find any that could tell me what's the max supported RAM spec for that notebook/motherboard.
2. More important: If the notebook gets horribly slow, usually after booting, it's due to the HDD being for minutes at 100 % read/write usage. So I wanted to upgrade to a SSD. Same issue as before: I tried to google specs for that board, what SSD models are supported, but couldn't find anything specific. If I try to go back from some upgrade sellers with items in stock, any (?) SATA3 SSD should do the job, but I doubt more than 1 TB (or even less) is supported.

Maybe anyone knows a little bit more and can help me out.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Computers

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! From what I'm seeing and could find with the age of this notebook isn't much. What I could find is that the mainboard is an Intel PM965. You can also use this link below to find more helpful information on this notebook as this will have a very detailed description. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-R700-Aura-T9300-Dillen-Notebook.9854.0.html#toc-9. As for the max speed I did see where it was 800mhz but as for the max size, I found different information. Some say 4gb and I saw on some forums that it was 8gb but would need a bios update. But as I do not have the notebook myself I am unable to test it. 

As for adding an SSD, I could not find any information, unfortunately. 

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Computers

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! From what I'm seeing and could find with the age of this notebook isn't much. What I could find is that the mainboard is an Intel PM965. You can also use this link below to find more helpful information on this notebook as this will have a very detailed description. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-R700-Aura-T9300-Dillen-Notebook.9854.0.html#toc-9. As for the max speed I did see where it was 800mhz but as for the max size, I found different information. Some say 4gb and I saw on some forums that it was 8gb but would need a bios update. But as I do not have the notebook myself I am unable to test it. 

As for adding an SSD, I could not find any information, unfortunately. 

Zambezi
Constellation
Options
Computers

Hi, 

thanks a lot! That's more than I expected and from the information I got from you I was able to dig a little bit deeper. Yes, it seems that an upgrad to max 8GB seems possible, since the Intel PM965 supports that, depending on the CPU - sometimes even without an BIOS upgrade.

The only downside: 4 GB DDR2 PC5300 DDR2 SoDIMMs were - and still are - that expensive... But good to  know and have that information.

With the SSD: Looked into that, and the only thing I found was to avoid Sandforce based SSDs... What's not relevant anymore, since that went OOB 10 years ago.😀

0 Likes