Original topic:

Phone making a random notification sound with no notifications

(Topic created: 02-07-2023 10:35 AM)
userVfLYLeUQvE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi everyone,

I wonder if this community can help me! I have had my Samsung galaxy S8 for several years and I love it. It's always on silent mode and so never makes a sound unless I'm playing multimedia or it vibrates lightly when I get a call. But recently something must have changed. Several times a day the phone makes a sound like a notification alert. Everytime it does it I go into notifications trying to track down the culprit but there is never any log of recent notifications. I've checked in exceptions too and nothing. I also checked the card payment feature as I heard that can cause sounds and I do keep my debit card in my phone case but that was turned off and I tested by taking my card out of the case and it still makes the sound occasionally. Multimedia volume is on (and I want to keep it that way as I am sure the sound will go away if I reduce this volume but that's a workaround and I need to find the source of this sound!) All other volumes (Bixby, call, notifications, system) are at zero. I'm at my wits end you guys! Does anyone know how I might be able to find out what's causing this mystery sound? Thanks in advance! 🙂

14 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Try looking at your notification history by going to:
Settings / Notifications / Advanced Settings / Notification History.
If it isn't on, try turning it on to at least help you track down what's making the notification sound.
What does it sound like?
userVfLYLeUQvE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hiya - I don't have the advanced options when I go into settings>>>notifications unfortunately. I can see all the apps listed there and can do show more and sort by recent but alas nothing claims to have been sending me a notification anytime close to when the sound happens on my phone. It's sort of a soft "Bing bong" - really not sure I'm describing it well though lol!

Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand the frustration that comes with random notifications noises when you have no notification. I would be happy to look into this further for you. The first step I would recommend is testing your device in safe mode. If your phone or tablet is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe mode feature. In Safe mode, your device won't run any third-party apps. Give this link a try for proper steps to test your device in safe mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

userIrWUvCzh2h
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I tried doing that and there was nothing there but I downloaded an app called nice catch and it told me it was the NFC setting so I turned it off and so far so good it's only been maybe 30 minutes but you say I would have heard that sound by now but I'm going to give it a day and I'll get back to you guys and let you know if that works for me or not
Oxford
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S Phones
If you don't have Good Lock, download it from the Samsung Store. In there is an app called Nice Catch, which will identify any type of alert or notification you get.
Fedexan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same problem, but when i get this "ding dong" Nice Catch it doesn't log anything...

(not even in Notifications / Advanced Settings / Notification History)

It's only a sound, no vibration, no messages on the display.

I have also listened to all the default notification sounds in the settings and none of those are the sound in question.

user4q4v4YyGip
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Did you ever figure this out??? I get a ding dong also.
gorgen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I think you should go to your settings the settings app and it says call in vibration and you have to go to the vibration and there's how hard I will vibrate a lot of good one or like four and that's it
0 Likes
ajinkya87
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am having the same issues with Samsung S20 FE it randomly starts making notification sound...i have tried various notification settings options except the safe mode