Original topic:

Priority Handling of Personal SSID

(Topic created: 05-31-2021 03:36 PM)
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just posted this question on an Xfinity board, but am posting here as well in case any Samsung users have device-specific suggestions.

I have my Xfinity router at home set up with a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz band, plus it does have the usual open xfinitywifi signal (as do my neighbors). I frequently find my Galaxy S9 connected to the xfinitywifi signal instead of one of my personal ones. I would much rather connect to my 5 GHz signal since it has dramatically faster speeds, but I don't necessarily want to disable automatic connections to xfinitywifi for the convenience when I'm away from home. I thought about disabling the public band on my router, but that wouldn't prevent me from connecting to my neighbor's router, and could inconvenience guests. 

Is there some way to force my phone to connect to my secured network when it is in range, and only to connect to the public bands when I'm away from home?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan
Galaxy S21 SM-G991U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
0 Likes
3 Replies
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@requa 

I highly discourage having any open, unprotected wifi networks. This allows anyone access to your network and attack your devices. If you value your personal data, you will use WPA2 or higher security on all of your networks. 

0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I understand and appreciate the concern, @LongHiker. However, at least according to Comcast, the xfinitywifi network I'm referring to does not in any way connect to my personal network or devices. I don't have any way to confirm this, other than the realization that if this were not true, we'd be hearing thousands of stories of compromised networks and Comcast would be wide open to legal liability. I may still disable the xfinitywifi network on my router but, as I said, this would not stop me from automatically connecting to my neighbor's signal. For now, I disabled automatic connections to this network within my phone's Wi-Fi settings.

Dan
Galaxy S21 SM-G991U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
TheGalaxy
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Install openwrt on your router
Use firewall package
Assign your phone mac address to desire network
0 Likes