Original topic:

WHY is 5G connectivity so (Trash) unreliable on the T-Mobile network including their MVNO’s?!

(Topic created: a week ago)
IAmOmnipotent9
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I was making some updates to my device layouts and when testing the PTN associated with my tablet from another number, I noticed the text did not arrive. I double checked the number. I remembered then that I had 5G enabled on the device since it is primarily used for data only and tried an additional text. Still not delivered. The device had been “idle” on Wi-Fi, so the connection essentially “timed out” unbeknownst to me. I restarted the tablet, and the texts sent several minutes before came right through. I bust out laughing in frustration…

Note: After X amount of time if your “data connection”(uplink to network) is not “refreshed”(Restart device, Toggle Airplane Mode, Place a Call, Use data on your end) then that communication sent to your device (voice/SMS/MMS/voicemail/data) will NOT be delivered to your device. I sent texts and left voicemails that never made there way to my device. Do I need to spell out the disaster this is – and the sad part is most people are not tech savvy, corporate shills, and/or iPhone users and have  no idea this is happening.

(The audacity to try and raise prices…)

This issue has persisted for several years at this point; I first noticed the problems around the ~ S20 FE.  Since this time a plethora of videos and posts both knowingly and unknowingly have been shared regarding the matter.

The Issue: If you have  5G enabled on any device you will intermittently loose connection with the network/tower by way of transmission with voice/SMS/MMS/voicemail/data not being delivered to your device; often times unbeknownst to you(signal will show connected – other times SOS emergency calls only may appear).

*This is not attributed to known technical limitations that have existed since cellular technology was introduced(signal interference, building materials, congestion, location, time of year, phone case, user error, device software/hardware(known bugs), etcetera)

*These issues NEVER happened with prior generations of cellular technology. I never had to guess whether or not my device was connected, the signal software could be trusted, moreover, I never had to worry about the receipt of voice/SMS/MMS/Voicemail being delivered to my device, even when “off network”(roaming) a voicemail still would deliver once the device reconnected to the network.

*iPhone users mostly communicate with other iPhone users(blue bubble). iMessage works on a data connection (Wi-Fi or Mobile data). iPhone is not using SMS/MMS the same way Android users do. Cellphone users spend less time talking (voice) and more time texting(iMessage/Facetime; SMS/MMS; Other apps).

“I called you” “I texted you” “911” “I called to offer you the job” “The hospital called so and so has been hurt” “I left you a voicemail before I took my last breath” just a few scenarios you won’t even know took place because A) it never made it to your device B) people will assume you didn’t answer/respond. Ignoring them, etcetera.

I saw similar complaints on other carriers, so I don’t believe it to be specific to T-Mobile’s network, however, I haven’t researched enough to know if it’s a technology issue with 5G in general or specific to Magenta. Point being, it should not be happening.

The current fix I have found for reliable voice/SMS/MMS/voicemail is to disable 5G on my cellular phones, and only use 5G on my data specific devices since getting SMS/MMS on them isn’t my main use for them. I just thought it was funny to see the issue is STILL present.  I’ve ran tests in multiple locations over different time periods. This isn’t a SIM card issue. Unsure if it is hardware related at the SOC level/5G but again, the same SOC does not have these issues with 5G turned off.

Somehow the devices are losing connection/timing out/idle when 5G is enabled causing the lack of transmission of voice/SMS/MMS/voicemails and needs to “reconnect” before these transmissions are delivered to your device. The issue is if you are unaware of this, you don’t know it is happening. Don’t let people gaslight you. I raised this issue internally directly as an internal customer, and externally as an external customer – Management is aware. Engineers are aware. I’m sure there are more technical jargon to explain why the packets are not being sent to the device and why it only sends with a connection “reboot”. 

3 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have that trouble with t mobile 5g is trash. Does not work as advertise and drains battery
0 Likes
3Fees
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have had t- mobile for years and have had zero issues with 5G, messaging, or the phone service.

Cheers
3Fees
0 Likes
LeoWyatt89
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Wowser! that was long. While I empathize with you, this is a Samsung community fourm that is peer-to-peer support. I don't think any of us is going to be able to help you with this. I would recommend posting your feedback regarding this to T-Mobile directly, as this is a service-related. I was able to locate a community for T-Mobile customers, perhaps that would be the best option: https://community.t-mobile.com/ 

0 Likes