Original topic:

"SD card removed unsafely"

(Topic created on: 4/28/21 6:03 AM)
Buela22
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I've gotten this message several times in the last couple of weeks. Restarting only takes care of it for a day or two. Haven't opened the phone, touched the SD, or made any significant changes to my setup. Samsung s10e. Thoughts on what might cause this? 

7 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Reseat the sdcard by using the sharp lil' tool that came with the device. Pop it out, make sure it's properly seated and pop it back in. Can be done safely while the phone is off or you can go into Battery and device care-Storage-Advanced-eject to do it while the device remains on.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Buela22 

I would suspect that the SD card is going bad. I would back up the files from the card elsewhere and replace the card as soon as possible. 

theother37
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
This is happening to A LOT of other Samsung models of phones. It seems related to the most recent updates to One UI 3.1 or andoid 11. Samsung seems to feel otherwise. I have a brand new a52 and a brand new Samsung 256gb sd card that's been doing it since day one. I typically ignore the message and the phone functions just the same. I think it's a bug that Samsung is having a difficult time replicating to find a solution.
Update: as soon as i hit the post button I received the sd card message again.
Spiffy_Do
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Some Ideas. One should NOT buy cards on Capacity alone.  As the phones get faster the speed of the card becomes more important. Please know taking a SLOWER card from an old phone that worked perfectly MAY cause problems if it is put into a new phone. Reseating the card also makes sense.  Cost of cards is highly dependent on the speed.  If you replace the card make sure it is faster than old one.

0 Likes
theother37
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It's not from an old phone. It's brand new. Samsung micro sdxc uhs 1 u3 to be specific. I think the specs are plenty fast for anything that requires any kind of stress testing let alone a smartphone. Let's be honest the a52 is not that powerful. Sure it's a step up from a budget or last year's mid tier but no reason to think the phones performance would cause sd card issues. All arrows seemed to be pointed at software updates. Specifically One UI 3.1.
0 Likes
iacobus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Following this thread as I'm encountering this same issue with the S20+. I've never had the same problem with my previous Note9. I encounter this every few weeks and restarting the phone fixes the issue.

However, just this morning, my phone encountered the same error and won't read my card anymore. I tried restarting at first, didn't fix it this time. Tried restarting and removing the card, still not fixed. Finally, I inserted the card to my PC, and voila, it worked, so I'm creating a backup now in my PC. 

My card is also a U3. And seems the software updates are the only recent changes I've done in my phone since the card was inserted there since I bought the phone last year, and have not removed it ever since.

0 Likes
Buela22
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Thanks for the feedback. Just to note, I forget which specific one it is but the card is less than 2 years old and was the highest speed available when I bought it. It's also Samsung brand. I just popped it out then back in, so we'll see where this changes anything, but it sounds from others experience of this but it may have more to do with a bug then the SD card itself.
0 Likes