cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Confused about Samsung S20 Ultra's camera modes.

So, upon purchasing the ultra the first thing I did with my camera was turn on the 108MP mode.

I had trouble getting it to focus on close-up things (A cool-looking spider). After a while of experimenting with the zoom and trying to get it to focus, I turned off the 108MP mode and found there were more options. Using the 5x close-up zoom button on the normal 3-4 mode without 108MP, I found finally I was able to get a crystal clear picture of the spider.

So my questions are:

Would taking a 108MP picture and then cropping it to half, would that result in the exact same image as zooming 2x on this mode? I keep trying to press where I want it to focus but only seems to change the lighting. I've been taking pictures of everything with both methods purely because I don't know which one will result in a clearer image.

Is it not possible to use that 5x zoom with the 108MP mode?

If I use the 'pro' mode to manually adjust the aperture/iso/shutter speed, what MP would that be in?

I am new to phone cameras and photography.

My primary question is whether I can still obtain that crystal clarity of that 5x zoom mode with 108MP turned off, with the 108MP mode turned on? Whenever I zoom in on this mode it doesn't appear anywhere near as clear as the 5x zoom mode with the 108MP mode turned off. Does it use different cameras?

Please help and sorry for all the newb questions. I really should watch a tutorial video, but I always prefer to ask questions first for some reason Smiley Happy

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Confused about Samsung S20 Ultra's camera modes.

Samsung S20 Ultra's has 3 camera modes night mode, dark mode and light mode

>edit<

Highlighted

108mp is just for getting that extra bit of detail in things like landscape shots, for macro/close-up, put the phone into normal photo mode 4:3 (12MP) and move the phone close to the subject, in the lower left bottom corner you should see a prompt to switch to 2x and move the phone away slowly until it is focussing on the subject properly, that is the correct way to take macro shots, it uses the telescopic sensor for macro

You can zoom with 108mp enabled, but you have to pinch to zoom on the screen, and all it does is crop the 108mp image, it is not doing it with optics, just digital

For most photos, the 4:3 normal auto photo mode is what you want to use, it still uses the 108mp sensor, but does something called Pixel Binning, where it combines 9 pixels into 1, resulting in 12MP photos (108/9 = 12), the combined pixels result in better low light images, you only need to use the 108mp setting like I say for shots where you want a lot of detail from subjects far away like mountains / the ocean / scenery etc, or if you were going to print the shot onto a large sheet, blown up so the more pixels make a big difference, for normal shots 12MP is where you want to be to gain that extra light and have all the different options available to you.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Leave 108mp mode off. Take pics only in 3:4 and 12mp, unless you absolutely need the extra resolution. You'll get a better dynamic range, better low light performance and less image noise.

And yes, the 5x mode is a different camera and will generally give you better results than cropping a 108mp image, as long as you have enough light.

The 0.5x model is a different camera as well and the quality won't be as good.

VivaTV and BeeTV

Highlighted
Astronaut

Thus, after buying the ultra the primary thing I did with my camera was turn on the 108MP mode.

I experienced difficulty getting it to concentrate on close-up things (A cool-looking insect). Sooner or later of trying different things with the zoom and attempting to get it to center, I killed the 108MP mode and discovered there were more alternatives. Utilizing the 5x close-up zoom button on the typical 3-4 mode without 108MP, I discovered at long last I had the option to get a completely clear image of the creepy crawly.

Marth Neislon