Original topic:

Notifications ringtone

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
userxtoaVa1l30
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
It would be great to have the ability to separate text messages from other notifications (similar to phone calls). I'd like to receive alerts for phone calls and text messages but not as many for emails and other alerts. 
6 Replies
YouKnowWho945
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
You can silence the ones you don't want to make sound. Thats what I do
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23

You can change the notification tone for the messages.  First, go to your phone settings and make sure that  "manage notification categories for each app" is enabled.  Settings/notifications/advanced settings/manage notification categories for each app.  This will allow you to set different tones for each category in an app if it has multiples. If it only has one category, you can set the tone for that.  

After the categories are turned on, go to settings/apps/<app name>/notifications and then click on "notification categories" then go through the categories and in Samsung Messages choose "new messages", make sure it's enabled and then set your tone.  In Google Messages you would select "incoming messages". You can also set specific sounds for specific people or conversations in the respective app by selecting the conversation and clicking on the menu and choosing details and then you should see a screen with the details and an item for notifications where you can set the sound.

I had the notification categories turned on, but apparently the 6.1 update turned it off by default, I was wondering what happened to my categories. Thank you for making me look.  The categories should be on by default and the user should choose whether to turn it off, because you can only change the notification sounds in any individual app if the categories are turned on, otherwise you only get the default sound.  Also, you can't turn off notifications you don't want unless categories is enabled.

userxtoaVa1l30
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I want a sound only for phone calls and texts and all other notifications to vibrate. However I haven't been able to figure out how to do that since texts are lumped in with other notifications. I still want to know that I'm getting a new email but I don't want it to ding. I only want sound for text message notifications and when my phone rings.
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23

You have to make sure that Manage Notification Categories is turned on in settings/notifications/advanced notification settings.  in Sounds and vibration settings, set your default notification sound to "silent" (yes, there is a sound called silent-it's at the very top of the list). That way your notifications will vibrate.

With categories turned on, now you can go to your messaging app, select notifications then notification categories.  Go through the categories and turn on or off categories you want notifications for.  In the category called either incoming message or new messages (depending on which messaging app you use), tap on that and choose "alert" and then choose your sound and other options.  Whatever sound you choose for the new/incoming messages will be the app default.  You can also go through your current conversations and assign individual sounds to selected ones, if you so desire.

Then go to any other apps where you want to set a notification tone, and select the specific sound for each app.  All other notifications will be silent, but still vibrate.  If you turn off "allow sound and vibration" you will get no notifications at all. Best is to use the "silent" ringtone.  And, of course, the phone ring sound is set independently.

userxtoaVa1l30
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I'll try that, thanks. I was trying to avoid having to set the settings for every app but this is the best for what's available. Thanks again for your help!
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23

You don't have to set the settings for every app once you set a default notification sound, only for the ones you want a sound for. Your OP stated that you only wanted sounds for mail & messages,

Also, you don't have to do them all at once, if you have many - just do the ones that are important to you first, then do the rest as a project while you are watching TV or something.

If this works for you, please mark my answer as your solution.