cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

SSD data migration interrupted for "unknown reason", dwells at 99%

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am trying to upgrade my 128GB Samsung SSD to 500 GB Samsung SSD.  Samsung Data Migration software hangs at 99% for several minutes, then the message is:

"The Data Migration function has been interrupted for an unknown reason."

The installation manual says "make sure that you install the Samsung NVMe Driver first".  But the driver installer guide says minimum configuration is Intel Haswell Refresh Processor.  I have AMD, not Intel.  So, I have not attempted the driver install.

Anyone know how to fix this?

System configuration:

Source Drive MZNLN128HAHQ-000H1

Target Drive 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Samsung Data Migration (can’t find a version number)

HP Gamer Desktop CFC0JLC (not sure if that is the model number, no model number on enclosure)

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

Windows 10 Home 64 bit 1903

Comodo Internet Security Pro 12.0.0.6818

Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.0

EVO Plus is in a USB enclosure (my post is not allowed if I name it)Magician drive information.pngmigration interrupted again.png

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: SSD data migration interrupted for "unknown reason", dwells at 99%

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For all solid-state drive questions, please either email support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Now I tried to install the Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3, but it would not install.nvme not connected.png

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If I can't get the Samsung Data Migration working, I will consider the open source "Clonezilla".  That would clone 'offline' with a USB stick acting as a Linux OS main disk.  Offline would have the advantage of no files 'in use' not being copied that are actually needed.

I have filed a help ticket.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For all solid-state drive questions, please either email support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It seems that if you edit these posts about 4 times, they vanish.  I will try to be shorter in my reply.

I talked to support at the phone number you mentioned.  They took time to suggest fixes, but that did not work.  Clonezilla would not succeed either.  Finally I used the Samsung Data Migration cloned drive even though it was said to have failed.  But it did make a bootable drive.

The problem now is that some windows setting seems changed.  I cannot wake the computer from the keyboard.  Now I have to use the power button.  Not good.

Highlighted
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Your computer appears to have a M.2 SATA  interface and NOT a M.2 NVME interface.

Aside from the CPU requirements, the NVME drivers are not going to work.

The M.2 SATA interface is going to throttle the EVO to SATA speeds and it will not perform at the  NVME speeds it is designed for.  Don't blame the drive as you've installed it in a sub-par system.

You might want to try a Windows system repair to see if it affects your "waking" problem.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi ddaniel51,

Thanks for you posting. The old SSD was SATA III. It benchmarked at 521 MB/s sequential read. The new SSD, 970 EVO Plus, benchmarks at 1617 MB/s sequential read. This is about 1000 MB/s faster than SATA III, which tops out at 600 MB/s. So, I conclude that my motherboard supports SATA III and NVME in it’s M.2, M key socket.

<speed test screen shot>

I found a fairly good way to ‘wake’ the computer after installing the 970 EVO Plus. I no longer put it to ‘sleep’. I hibernate it. Then, I wake it with the power button, not a keyboard key.

I did run C:\Windows\system32> sfc /scannow on the old drive, and it fixed some problems. The clone of the fixed drive had no problems when I ran C:\Windows\system32> sfc /scannow.

Hi SamsungCaleb,

Thanks for your posting. The Samsung telephone support did not resolve the ‘data migration interrupted’ problem. Is there a Samsung forum that covers SSDs? Also, I tried the open source Clonezilla. It did not make a bootable SSD.

Finally, I tried booting from the 970 EVO Plus after the Samsung data migration software said it had failed. It had created a bootable SSD. As the sleep problem attests, it was not a perfect copy. However, it seems good enough.

The (partial) solution in my case was to ignore the message about the SSD clone being interrupted.EVO Plus benchmarks faster than SATAEVO Plus benchmarks faster than SATA