JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Issue using S pen & TINY toolbar

(Topic created: 03-21-2023 09:41 AM)
user3Q2EKPPW8Z
Constellation
Options
Note20
After last nights update (March 13, 2023 ) When I take my pen out and try to use it to Google or write a text message, it wont open screen for me to have the space to write? To even get a Toolbar to pick Keyboard entry, I have to tap a few times AND then I get a SUPER small toolbar... If I try to write in the Google search (in the small search bar) OR write a text (which it wont open in fuller screen to allow me the space to write) it automatically uses predictive as soon as I write the first of any letter??? HELP I just want to be able to write out texts again!
5 Replies
jy6487
Astronaut
Options
Note20
same problem. This is SO annoying
user3Q2EKPPW8Z
Constellation
Options
Note20
Now I have no keyboard option when pen is out. And I see the squiggly blue ( air command mode) when I about to use pen. I literally have to leave pen in then manually hit " handwriting " Also my new issue is my screen will randomly get a toolbar blinking across bottom that has widgets and unless I turn screen off it won't dismiss when I hit close....I brought phone to Tmobile for help, lady said she has had several people with same issues but it's due to Samsung & the upgrade...I even wanted to just upgrade, She said well I could sell you another phone BUT can't guarantee it won't have bugs too since it's a Samsung issue...wish we could get help. I did reach out for help, so I guess I'm in que to get a response. Let me know if you get any solutions,as I will you as well. Oh I also bought a new S Pen ( OEM) doesn't work...so not the pen 😞
0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Note20

Hello, We understand the frustration of trying to use the S Pen with changes to the keyboard. 

We have been testing the S Pen with the Note20 Ultra, and this is what we have found.

1. The S Pen is not compatible with the Google Search widget or Chrome. The Samsung Internet app is compatible.

2. When sending a message using the Samsung Messages app, text can be written in the text box where you normally enter the message. The box does not expand. After each word or letter is written with the S Pen it is converted to digital text immediately allowing additional space to continue writing.

3. To access the standard keyboard, tap the text box where you are writing the text or tap the keyboard icon on the mini toolbar.

If these steps do not help, or you do not have these options, try clearing the cache of the Keyboard app. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077611/  You will need to select to Show Samsung App under Settings>Apps.

The next step would be to clear the cache partition and repair apps under the recovery menu.

To get to recovery mode: 
- Turn off phone
- Once off, hold down volume up and power buttons simultaneously 
- When Samsung logo appears, release power button BUT KEEP HOLDING VOLUME UP until the recovery menu appears
- Use volume buttons to navigate down to clear cache (NOT CLEAR DATA/ FACTORY RESET) 
- Use power button to select.
- Run the repair apps option and your device will restart. 
The last step to try would be backing up all of your data and factory resetting the phone. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/ 
janeofall
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Same!
The SPen just isn't working!
Is there a way to roll back the update?
janeofall
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Maybe we should thread with #spen not working after update?
Also these threads need likes to get attention for a fix.