Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userBKS50NS5Sk
Asteroid

Note 8 Always on Display consuming too much power

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey,

I just got a Note 8 and my dad got an S8+.

With the same settings, on my phone the AoD consumes ~6-10% of battery in just a few hours of uptime and on his phone it's negligible, not even shown on the battery data screen. Why is that and how can I fix this? Aren't the two phones supposed to be similar in battery draw and the Note 8 actually outperforming the S8+ in this regard even with a smaller battery?

Cheers,

Richard

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Note 8 Always on Display consuming too much power

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The battery information in the 2nd post is not true. S8 and Note8 are running two different versions of Samsung Experience, two different Android versions, two different kernels etc etc.

There is much more at play than size of battery. How the batterie's power is utilized to drive the devices functions is the issue (aka software optimization). My Note 8 actually outlast both our S8 and S8+. I have AOD disabled, on my Note 8, though.

You may want to clear your cache partition as it sounds like your software is not running optimally. But, first, check the app stores to see if there are any updates availble for AOD.

To clear cache partition:

1) Power down device completley.

2) Press Volume up and Power button at same time and hold both.

3) Once the screen comes on and "Samsung" is displayed release both buttons.

4) The screen will go blue and an Android will appear for about 30 seconds with txt that reads "installing system update" (don't worry, its not updating).

5) The Andorid will fall on its side and then the screen will become black with a list if options starting with "Reboot.."

6) Use your Volume down button to scroll to, and highlight, "Wipe Cache Partition"...NOT Factory Data Reset.

7) Once Wipe Cache Partition is highlighted press the power button once to select.

8) Confirm the operation by selecting "Yes". Again, use volume button to scroll to and highlight "Yes" and use the power button once to select your highlighted option.

9) The command will run, which you can see toward the bottom of the screen. It will only take a couple of seconds.

10) The read out will be "Successfully Wiped cache" or something to that effect.

11) "Reboot Device" should be highlighted automatically after the wipe completes, so press power button once to reboot the device. Just double check Reboot Device is the highlighted option.

12) Your device will restart and power up as normal.

This does not erase any of your settings, personal stuff or anything like that. This basically clears out the "learning" your apps have done in attempt to operate more efficiently. Sometimes, things get crossed up and can cause issues like you are experiencing. Especially with new devices that have had several software updates. Give the device a couple of days to "relearn" and hopefully you will have a smoother experience as well as reduced battery drainage.

Last, don't do this as common practice. The cache partition, when built correctly, is a good thing. I tend to do it if my device is draining battery faster than normal, is very laggy or gets warm for no reason. I get about 7 hours of Screen on time with my Note8 just FYI.

SM-N950UZKAC
Xfinity Mobile (CCT)
9 REPLIES 9
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

A Smaller Battery is going drain faster than a larger one. This is common sense. S8+ is always going to Outlast your Note 8.  

• Smaller 3,300mAh battery has Samsung going conservative
  • All-day battery life, but depletes faster and charges slower 
userBKS50NS5Sk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

While I could accept this, this still doesn't explain why AoD is showing up for me as a considerable drain in the battery data and not for him...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The battery information in the 2nd post is not true. S8 and Note8 are running two different versions of Samsung Experience, two different Android versions, two different kernels etc etc.

There is much more at play than size of battery. How the batterie's power is utilized to drive the devices functions is the issue (aka software optimization). My Note 8 actually outlast both our S8 and S8+. I have AOD disabled, on my Note 8, though.

You may want to clear your cache partition as it sounds like your software is not running optimally. But, first, check the app stores to see if there are any updates availble for AOD.

To clear cache partition:

1) Power down device completley.

2) Press Volume up and Power button at same time and hold both.

3) Once the screen comes on and "Samsung" is displayed release both buttons.

4) The screen will go blue and an Android will appear for about 30 seconds with txt that reads "installing system update" (don't worry, its not updating).

5) The Andorid will fall on its side and then the screen will become black with a list if options starting with "Reboot.."

6) Use your Volume down button to scroll to, and highlight, "Wipe Cache Partition"...NOT Factory Data Reset.

7) Once Wipe Cache Partition is highlighted press the power button once to select.

8) Confirm the operation by selecting "Yes". Again, use volume button to scroll to and highlight "Yes" and use the power button once to select your highlighted option.

9) The command will run, which you can see toward the bottom of the screen. It will only take a couple of seconds.

10) The read out will be "Successfully Wiped cache" or something to that effect.

11) "Reboot Device" should be highlighted automatically after the wipe completes, so press power button once to reboot the device. Just double check Reboot Device is the highlighted option.

12) Your device will restart and power up as normal.

This does not erase any of your settings, personal stuff or anything like that. This basically clears out the "learning" your apps have done in attempt to operate more efficiently. Sometimes, things get crossed up and can cause issues like you are experiencing. Especially with new devices that have had several software updates. Give the device a couple of days to "relearn" and hopefully you will have a smoother experience as well as reduced battery drainage.

Last, don't do this as common practice. The cache partition, when built correctly, is a good thing. I tend to do it if my device is draining battery faster than normal, is very laggy or gets warm for no reason. I get about 7 hours of Screen on time with my Note8 just FYI.

SM-N950UZKAC
Xfinity Mobile (CCT)
userBKS50NS5Sk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
We have a winner!
Thank you sir, this solved my problem. Now AoD consumes considerably less (1-2%).
JJDCH
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i cant erase the cache, i did press the two bottoons but, nothing happends

user1qO1nuDvY0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I clears the cache partition and it still didn't help I loose 20% battery over night and the always on display used 8% of the battery

useroyn8aYRW2G
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Paul Deemer..That is not correct Sir. Period. There is not enough time or space to break it down for you. Trust me 😉
usereFM9lYi3Jp
Constellation

Note 8 Always on Display consuming too much power

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Are you using a third party app to change your AOD, or do you have a colorful image displayed. The AOD works best as just a black background, as no pixels need to be lit besides the information that's displayed.