cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Software update to android 9 (Pie)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a unlock Galaxy j7 2018 I see that the phone updated to android pie but my phone is stuck on android oreo April 1 2019. I'm using Simple Mobile in the unlock phone but it wont update to android pie. People say take the phone to a At&t store or best buy and they can do the software update for me. And they said that they dont do that and dont know why that info is out there. Because they dont help with things like that. Someone please help me with this problem.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Software update to android 9 (Pie)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the phone was purchased as an AT&T branded device you would need to use it on AT&T's network, however, if AT&T has carrier unlocked your phone you can use it on a different carrier. But unless you performed a factory reset and upon rebooting and setting up the device used the new carrier's SIM card the phone would still be loaded on AT&T's version of Android for Samsung devices which could affect how and when you get any updates. So long story short if your phone is an AT&T unlocked device it is recommended to perform a factory reset with the new carrier's SIM card installed so the phone can be loaded on their version of Android for Samsung. If you do not want to factory reset your device Smart Switch would be the best option for you to receive your updates in a timely manner.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What is the model number of your device? It usually begins with SM-XXXXX

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SM-J737A

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Updates would be pushed to your device via the carrier it is connected to. I would recommend reaching out to Simple Mobile, you could also try updating the phone with Samsung Smart Switch.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay thank you do all that talk about me having to use it with at&t is non sense?.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the phone was purchased as an AT&T branded device you would need to use it on AT&T's network, however, if AT&T has carrier unlocked your phone you can use it on a different carrier. But unless you performed a factory reset and upon rebooting and setting up the device used the new carrier's SIM card the phone would still be loaded on AT&T's version of Android for Samsung devices which could affect how and when you get any updates. So long story short if your phone is an AT&T unlocked device it is recommended to perform a factory reset with the new carrier's SIM card installed so the phone can be loaded on their version of Android for Samsung. If you do not want to factory reset your device Smart Switch would be the best option for you to receive your updates in a timely manner.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried updating via smart switch foŕ pc?

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay thank you all for your help I truly appreciate it. You guys was more help then others. Again thank you.