JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Exclude folders from the Gallery app

(Topic created: 10-25-2020 02:39 PM)
userXEnmsVP7vn
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

For some reason Gallery application suppose that any graphical file on the phone is a photo which I want to see but I have a lot of folders with music albums each of them has at least one cover image which immediately gets to my Gallery application which is really ennoying especially when you want to share your photo in whatsup and it opens the main section of the Gallery application without normal way to switch to the camera cection. So is there any normal way to set the folder which should be scanned?

17 Replies
userG0Xe6sLcVo
Constellation
Options

Please make a solution for this it has been driving me crazy since I got the phone. 

Solution
userXEnmsVP7vn
Constellation
Options

One of the wierdiest solutions is to use a file manager application which able to create a file (I used ES File Explorer) to create a file (or just copy/paste a small one) and name it '.nomedia'  (with no quotes). Copy this file into all the directories which you want to exclude from gallery access.

It works though you may need to restart your phone to see the result.

Untill a user has to look for that kind of hacky solutions all Android devices would be really far behind iOS devices. While I was looking for the solution I found out that this problem exists for years, it means that no one really cares about user experience but only about figures of CPU mHz and camera megapixels. And this is really sad

Samsung_ntRiS6g
Constellation
Options

Thanks a lot for this solution!  It works perfectly on Galaxy S9 Plus, also.  

0 Likes
userh1D4dedOhd
Constellation
Options

I have all my music in a folder called Music and under that subfolders named after the bands and subfolders under there named after the album.  I found if you just create the .nomedia file and put it in the top level folder in my case music it will exclude all subfolders of music.  A little easier than having to put it in each and every band folder.

userjrAphI618O
Asteroid
Options

@userh1D4dedOhd  when I add the .nomedia file to my music folder, it stops all music apps (Google play music, VLC, Amazon, Samsung)  from seeing the music in my music folder.  What music player are you using?  Thanks. 

userh1D4dedOhd
Constellation
Options

Yeah sorry I noticed that later too.  I gave up and ended up just deleting all the album images.

0 Likes
userjrAphI618O
Asteroid
Options

@userh1D4dedOhd wrote:

Yeah sorry I noticed that later too.  I gave up and ended up just deleting all the album images.

Rocket Player works. It can scan folders for music despite the .nomedia file.

Brainwise
Astronaut
Options

@userjrAphI618O wrote:
Rocket Player works. It can scan folders for music despite the .nomedia file.

This is true.  Same goes for PowerAmp player. 

(That is, unless I misplaced the .nomedia file).

0 Likes
userlURXAEtoDk
Astronaut
Options

I did this but now the Shuttle music app see the .nomedia file and so it ignores all the music in that folder as well.

0 Likes