Original topic:

Switch Smart will not backup Messages after update

(Topic created: 11-17-2022 11:39 AM)
munchen5mia10
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Hi, just joined the forum.

After being forced to update my s22 last week, Messages will not backup to either of my PCs using Switch Smart. If I backup the entire phone, it hangs at 9% for 2+ hours, and once it completes, I see Messages failed to be backed up. If I only try to backup Messages, it hangs at 0% until it times out and the job fails. The last successful backup was on October 24th, before the last update. HOW DO I FIX THIS??

I've tried Smart Switch versions 4.2.22032.14 and the latest version 4.3.22112_1.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Brian B

South Florida

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options

Okay ... hmm. personally haven't seen where the Smart Switch backup "hangs".

BTW, if the backup hangs at "at 9% for 2+ hours", it's time to cancel the backup.... AAMOF, I'd cancel it at, say 15-20 of hang time.

So back to the problem. I'll take a couple of wild guesses

a) there's some very strange text in a filename, and S.S. is having an issue with it

b) there are some extraordinarily large attachments associated with one or more text messages.

c) there's some oddball file corruption and Smart Switch can't deal with it

I back up our 2 S21'S and 2 S22s once a month and each don't take over 20-30 minutes (I don't actually time it)

I backup using two methods ... one is via Smart Switch ... the other I connect phone using USB to a Linux desktop and do a raw copy.

So the next question would be
"have you checked the Smart Switch logs to see if an error shows up"???

(if it's hanging, it should show up in the logs what it's having an issue with)

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
You state "Messages" ... are you referring to all the text message conversations ?

Or an app by that name?

Keep in mind there's Google Messages and Samsung Messages
0 Likes
munchen5mia10
Asteroid
Options

My apologies, I was referring to all text messages in the Samsung "Messages" app.

This is one of the choices to be backed up in the Switch Smart program.

Thank you.

Brian B

South Florida

0 Likes
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options

Okay ... hmm. personally haven't seen where the Smart Switch backup "hangs".

BTW, if the backup hangs at "at 9% for 2+ hours", it's time to cancel the backup.... AAMOF, I'd cancel it at, say 15-20 of hang time.

So back to the problem. I'll take a couple of wild guesses

a) there's some very strange text in a filename, and S.S. is having an issue with it

b) there are some extraordinarily large attachments associated with one or more text messages.

c) there's some oddball file corruption and Smart Switch can't deal with it

I back up our 2 S21'S and 2 S22s once a month and each don't take over 20-30 minutes (I don't actually time it)

I backup using two methods ... one is via Smart Switch ... the other I connect phone using USB to a Linux desktop and do a raw copy.

So the next question would be
"have you checked the Smart Switch logs to see if an error shows up"???

(if it's hanging, it should show up in the logs what it's having an issue with)
0 Likes
munchen5mia10
Asteroid
Options

Thank you for the lengthy reply.

I've looked for logs, and haven't found any. I find none in the Smart Switch interface itself.

I find none in the installation directory in Program Files.

I'll look for odd attachments (primarily pictures) in the texts I've received since the last good backup. (Oct 24th)

BTW, I've tried restoring "Messages" from the last two successful backups and both jobs completed with no issues.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Brian B

South Florida

0 Likes
munchen5mia10
Asteroid
Options

Made a little progress, but still cannot complete a backup of the "Messages" app, and all the texts.

I started deleting the texts (not the conversations) I've received since Oct 24th. Looked promising, as the backup process did not hang a 0% like previous attempts. However, it would only get to about 43% before it would hang. I even let it sit there all night, and in the morning, it was still at 43%.

If anyone knows where to find the Smart Switch logs, please share. If it's one conversation that's causing this, I'd prefer to delete just that one conversation rather than all of them.

Thank you.

Brian B

South Florida

0 Likes
munchen5mia10
Asteroid
Options

One last update.

I started moving conversations to the Trash, hoping Smart Switch wasn't backing up the Trash. Backups actually worked when I moved a particular conversation to Trash. So, there must be a text or attachment causing the issue in this conversation. Not sure I understand why, as I deleted all texts and attachments back to the date of the last successful backup.

Thanks to those who replied.

Brian B

South Florida

0 Likes