JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Cannot format sd card for internal storage

(Topic created: 06-16-2024 01:04 PM)
CRogerBlair
Constellation
Options
Tablets
I jut got a Galaxy  A8 tablet. I'm trying to set up my SD card for internal storage, but none of the instructions I've  seen help me. My tablet doesn't recognize my sd card, and I can't find any instructions that apply to my tablet. How exactly do I format my sd card for internal storage?
0 Likes
7 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

It's possible the card is defective.  Formatting for a tablet is no different than formatting for a computer or phone.  If your tablet doesn't recognize it (formatted or unformatted), it is probably not reading its electronics.  Could be the fault of the SD slot or the card.  Do you have another device to try the card in?  Maybe a computer SD slot?  If it gets recognized on another device, it's most likely a bad (or dusty) card slot on the table.  I've never bought and SD card that didn't already come formatted.  You would only have to format it if it had data on it you wanted to quickly erase.

0 Likes
bill-e
Cosmic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Open My Files app, find SD Card and click on it.  Click on the 3 dot menu in the upper right and an option for Format will appear.  If there is no option for Format as Internal than your device doesn't support that feature. 

I believe Samsung stopped supporting that feature a few years ago so I'll be surprised if the A8 supports it. 

Let's us know what you find out. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 6 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch7Ultra(VZW),Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV, Buds Pro
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

Did you not read the part where they say the phone does not recognize the card? I know you know that you can't format something the device doesn't see.

0 Likes
bill-e
Cosmic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Of course I did but users to this forum have all different levels of technical competence and I'm starting him off with the procedure and awaiting for his response. 

Thanks for the comment 😉 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 6 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch7Ultra(VZW),Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV, Buds Pro
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

Yeah, I believe it was Google/Android that stopped the ability to format for internal storage expansion because apps don't run well off an SD card, if that is what they are trying to do.  I may have misunderstood and thought they just wanted to use it for storage, since it's been a long time since they took that option away.

0 Likes
CRogerBlair
Constellation
Options
Tablets
Folks, thanks for the heads-up about Samsung dropping support for internal storage. The card shows up in both Files and My. Files, so I guess all is well for the moment.
0 Likes
Solution
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

Yeah, you can't use it to install or run apps, but you can direct all your photos and music and downloads to the card to free up space on your device.  Also, regularly clearing your cache partition will also free up space.