JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Solution to Paramount Plus App not streaming content or live TV

(Topic created: 10-05-2021 07:44 AM)
AU94cmk71
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

After several months of troubleshooting with Paramount Plus Tech Support, I have finally solved the issue of the Paramount Plus app not streaming content or live TV. The issue I had been having is that the app would work fine at certain times of the day (mostly morning and early afternoon), but then would not stream shows, movies, or live tv at other times (usually in the evening). It would try to load, and then I'd get a scrolling wheel with a blank screen, followed by an error message.  After numerous suggestions to reboot TV/modem/router, reload app, etc., I finally got Paramount Plus tech support to look at more details of my problem. Here is what they said:

"When it comes to Samsung TVs, the DNS configurations can impede on viewing when using our app as these settings as these settings send you to the proper servers to access the service. If these settings do not match your internet providers recommendations, then this can cause the issues you are experiencing on the Samsung. Also, IPv4 and IPv6 protocols can impede on viewing as well as these are used to make communication with our servers and others possible. Ensuring that DNS configurations match the ISP and having both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols enabled will allow for better communication between your device and our servers which will prevent the interruptions you are experiencing on this one device. To ensure this set-up is correct on your network, you would need to have your internet provider ensure this as we do not have access to the network. "

Rather than call my ISP, I accessed my router to view the internet port DNS settings, and then manually entered that same DNS setting into my Samsung Network connection. The setting had been set to "obtain automatically." And since that time, the Paramount Plus app has worked flawlessly, and my other apps have loaded more quickly than previously.

Hopefully if others are having this same issue, this will resolve your problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
gneisstomeetu
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This worked! Phew! I logged into my ATT Gateway router (http://192.168.1.254) to view Broadband > Status > Primary DNS. On my 2020 Samsung TV, Settings > General > Network > Network Status > IP Settings > DNS Setting. Switched it from auto to manual. Entered in the Primary DNS number from above. 

I've been struggling to watch Live TV on the Paramount+ app for many many months trying reinstalling, etc. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

View solution in context

25 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Awesome. Thank you.
0 Likes
userekqHHF8azO
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thanks, this did work to some extent, but I can only access the original content, not the  

cbs content. Any ideas?

0 Likes
userLIhoNraA43
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Both the online site and tv app ask for an activation code to enter my tv as a paramount plus device. I don’t know where to get the code if the tv does not give one.

0 Likes
user2dWvekseO2
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

That is a great share. I am sitting here looking for a replacement screen and came across your post. I am sad that there isn't a workaround or a fix included in the set up. Or at least a notification that the DNS can be an issue. Sadly it wasn't but you did figure it out. God is good. 

SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thank you for that information! 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Solution
gneisstomeetu
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This worked! Phew! I logged into my ATT Gateway router (http://192.168.1.254) to view Broadband > Status > Primary DNS. On my 2020 Samsung TV, Settings > General > Network > Network Status > IP Settings > DNS Setting. Switched it from auto to manual. Entered in the Primary DNS number from above. 

I've been struggling to watch Live TV on the Paramount+ app for many many months trying reinstalling, etc. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

user8n2QwnBwRE
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I'm glad the DNS reconfiguration trick worked for you. It did not, for me. I tried setting DNS manually to my ISP's default DNS IP address. I tried Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS service. I turned off IP6 service (since I don't have it turned on in my router). Nothing worked.

Other threads suggest that Series 6 Samsung TVs are the ones primarily affected here, and I have one of those. Perhaps your fix works for other series?

As it is, for me, until this week or so, I could stream anything via Paramount Plus without issues. Today -- despite resetting TV and app configurations many times -- Paramount Plus WILL only play the occasional content. Successful streaming doesn't seem to be connected to time of day, however. Something that wouldn't play time after time suddenly, unexpectedly, does.

Presumably, this issue will be fixed with a Samsung Smart Hub upgrade or a Paramount Plus app upgrade. But neither company has claimed the problem or promised a fix. So ... maybe this will work better, sometime, in the future. I wouldn't count on it, though. On to other TV brands and other streaming services, I guess.

usercAXZ3xozpe
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
I'm having the same issues as you are describing about to try the above solution but doesn't sound like it will work. I work for our ISP so I'm pretty savy and that's why I get frustrated when the finger pointing starts like "oh its a speed issue or reboot your router"
0 Likes
SamsungJustin
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thank you to everyone that's been trying to find a workaround. I can confirm that Samsung is currently aware of this with certain 2017 televisions getting a black screen when launching the Paramount + applications. Our Samsung Engineers are working hand in hand with Paramount + app engineers to determine the root cause to resolve this. In the meantime, this solution founded by our members seems to be helping a lot! thank you @AU94cmk71 & @gneisstomeetu 

0 Likes