Original topic:

Why does the latest phones not have an option Micro SD slot?

(Topic created: yesterday)
Samsung_SXvQ4yh
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I'm looking to upgrade and every latest phone I see doesn't have a SD card slot!!! Why is that? It makes me not want to give up my galaxy Note. Does anyone know any Samsung phones that supports external memory?

4 Replies
MarkChang
Halo
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Because they want you to buy the higher storage for your needs instead of just buying the lowest and popping in a MicroSD card. Personally. I think the best way to make everyone happy, would be to have the highest storage capacity devices be the only ones that have MicroSD card slot.
Samsung_SXvQ4yh
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
With the type of things I do on my phone even the highest may not suffice that's why I like the option to increase my memory, and if they did indeed make only the devices with highest storage to have a slot that would also be great
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
People bought bad MicroSD cards and blamed them failing on the phone manufacturer due to a lack of understanding, as well as generally being slower. This was the original logic behind most oems ditching it, even before cloud storage took off. Additionally, Google has been making microSD support worse in android for years, because if its not a pixel feature they actively seek to make it worse. When phones started having 128gb as standard, Samsung decided it was time to follow the industry and ditch it. You can still use USB OTG to connect external storage via a USB c adapter, and if you watch for sales you can often get a storage upgrade for free when you buy the phone.
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

@Samsung_SXvQ4yh "Does anyone know any Samsung phones that supports external memory?"

External memory? Yes. Pretty much every Samsung phone supports external memory in the form of USB drives or cloud storage.