Original topic:

Android apps on Samsung Galaxy Book 360 after Windows Subsystem for Android™️ goes away

(Topic created: 05-12-2024 01:31 PM)
vlbcfcl
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Apparently, even though this is a Samsung Computers Community forum, people don't seem to understand the basis of this post.

I bought a used Galaxy book pro 360. Cute laptop. I Like it. It's a SAMSUNG Galaxy laptop and, as such I think it should be able to run Android apps like my SAMSUNG Galaxy phone and tablets.

Please do not tell me that's ridiculous. It's not and many people agree with me.

1. I looked it up: It (has been) possible to run Android apps on the Samsung Galaxy Book 360 "laptop".  This should be possible because Windows 11 has had support for something calledWindows Subsystem for Android:trade_mark: (WSA)..

https://www.xda-developers.com/does-samsung-galaxy-book-2-pro-android-apps/

However  that was Windows 11 prior to March 2024. They give, they take.

2. Microsoft is ending support for the Windows Subsystem for Android:trade_mark: (WSA). As a result, the Amazon Appstore on Windows and all applications and games dependent on WSA will no longer be supported beginning March 5, 2025.

In Windows land, "not supported" apparently means CANNOT RUN. (Please don't tell me that's what "not supported" means everywhere. For many apps and companies, "not supported" only means "if it breaks we won't fix it or answer questions.")

The Galaxy 360 did not have Amazon Appstore or Android apps installed prior to March 5, 2024, so they can't be installed now and apparently wouldn't work after March of next year.

3. Is there an alternative  (other than screencasting from my phone) to WSA for running Android apps on the Samsung Galaxy Book 360  to the laptop?

Again, I'm looking for a simple "can I run an app" answer, not a discussion of  M$oft's Marketing strategy.  

Please do not try to tell me that "no one used WSA". Please do not try second guessing their reasons or excusing M$oft. You are not them and those reasons are not pertinent here.] 

(I should not have to ask people to stay on track, but apparently I do.

Vicki Brown
7 Replies
Member23
Halo
Options
Computers
Wait what? I understand that would include my S23 losing all MS apps, but is that all? Considering the Android apps are making up half of the phone (Google ones at least). None of Android Google apps will work? and/or none of my Microsoft apps, like Defender and Word, and 365 will work anymore?
0 Likes
vlbcfcl
Asteroid
Options
Computers

No, no. The Android subsystem under WINDOWS is not going to be supported.

Android phones and tablets will still run Android software including Android versions of Win apps.

All this means is that my Galaxy laptop cannot run Android apks.

Vicki Brown
0 Likes
Member23
Halo
Options
Computers
Ohhh okay thank you!!
0 Likes
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Computers
They are not what word you used. It was used by a minority of people. Microsoft is dropping support because they don't want to spend time developing something that .02%(not exact %) of the user base uses.

If Amazon was making money off it I'd bet they'd pay MS to maintain it. Google could have also paid and made something official and add their own store.
vlbcfcl
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Ha ha ha.

I doubt that so few people used it. If you have a Samsung laptop, it's useful;. SAMSUNG should be supporting this, FOR windows not the other way around.

Also, complaining about my question does not ANSWER my question. Unhelpful.

You are reading this in a SAMSUNG COMMUNITY BOARD. 

Vicki Brown
0 Likes
Misterzeke4900
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
If you want google or android apps on a laptop, buy a chromebook.
0 Likes
Misterzeke4900
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
Also, DEX.
0 Likes