Original topic:

Finally, privacy and security

(Topic created: a week ago)
Options
Computers
The overreach was a turn-off and sharing with partners. You can actually encrypt everything folders, files, Bluetooth and WiFi syncs, SD cards and the entire device. If using continuity it will encrypt all device connected. Samsung gets it. Our devices are not open source for third parties. You can also layer your security and privacy.

If that extends to laptops and syncing not sure. One of my devices came in encrypted. The other VPN and multiple boot system. The mobile devices are no longer open to all. The watches need to be dealt with. In the least encryption. The most encryption and VPN. Plus, provide Samsung laptop encryption instead of Windows.

What needs to stop:

1. Letting Windows take over a brand new laptop. Putting unknown software on it behind flowery screens "we are getting things ready". Unwanted.

2. Should be only 2 screens on all devices... User name and password, and Samsung account.

3. Third parties, if we want that we will find them.
9 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers

1. If you buy a Windows computer, you get Windows taking control.  That's the way it works.  It doesn't matter what brand.  That's the agreement with Microsoft.  Take it up with them. 

2. Again, on Microsoft, not Samsung.  There are numerous Windows tweakers out there where you can get rid of unwanted extra screens. In Windows 11, there is no extra screen, just the lock/login screen.  Windows 8 & 10 had that infernal, unnecessary extra "lock" screen.

3. Also on Microsoft. 

When you use any devices, software, Operating System or apps, there are always user agreements and privacy notices. If you don't like the terms, don't use the products.  If it's a necessary product, you have to weigh the privacy aspects against your needs.  There are apps that can be installed to mitigate those privacy concerns.

Options
Computers
But should you have to? My Linux setup was choosing what I wanted or didn't want, then choosing a username and password. After that, at my desktop, I customized it for my work benefit.

I don't buy new computers for Microsoft. I buy for the hardware.
0 Likes
meself
Black Hole
Options
Computers
Not sure how windows i.e Microsoft controls Samsung devices security
0 Likes
Options
Computers
Encryption and sign in. Then, telemetry and updates. Plus, their bloatware of products. Microsoft is a security risk. Research zero-day vulnerabilities, they go back 25+ years unpatched.
0 Likes
Options
Computers
1st, many are buying hardware. Windows gets shovelware to us. Samsung could use Linux Mint it looks like Windows without the telemetry and 25 years of security holes. 2nd, that is an American commandeering narrative for hegemony. 3rd Windows has its own brand of hardware. Takeover that not someone else's brands and customers.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
I beg to differ. Most people are buying a setup which includes an operating system. Not everyone knows how to or has the time to futz sround. If you do, more power to you. Build your own or buy a naked device if you can. 90% of computer users are not looking to do that.
Options
Computers
That's why Linux has grown by 5%, right? It could be any operating system, just not one with 25+ years of neglected security holes like Windows. You don't need a new computer to run the exact same version of Windows you have on the old one. Therefore you are buying equipment.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
5% over 30 years
0 Likes
Options
Computers
Okay, this has to be Microsoft. I didn't know it was a contest, lol.
0 Likes