JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to Install drivers for sfd-321u USB Floppy Drive in Windows 10

(Topic created: 09-23-2022 02:06 PM)
Dogmentation
Astronaut
Options
Computers

There seems to be a lot of frustration and confusion about Installing this device in Windows 10.
It does work, but the steps are slightly different from Windows 7.

I've had this problem in the past, and I can see that a lot of people online have it as well, so I will ask the question, and give you the solution directly, without any external drivers necessary.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dogmentation
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Here is how to install the  SFD-321u in Windows 10:

1. Plug in the SFD-321u Floppy Drive.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Under "Other Devices" look for the SFD-321u entry.
  4. Right click it, go to "Update Driver"
  5. Click "Browse My Computer for Drivers"
  6. Click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
  7. Click "Show All Devices" at the top of the list, then click on "Next".
    (this is the main difference in steps between Win7 and Win10)
  8. Wait a few seconds for the list of manufacturers on the left side of the window to populate.
  9. Scroll down to "NEC Systems" and click on it.
  10. On the right side of the window, under "model" select "NEC USB Floppy" then click on "Next".
  11. You will get a "Update Driver Warning" about compatibility. Ignore this, and click on "Yes".
  12. Wait a few moments, and you should get the "Windows has successfully updated your drivers" screen.
  13. Click "Close".

The "NEC USB Floppy" should now show up under your list of USB Controllers, and with any luck, it should have mounted itself as the A:\ drive in your windows explorer.

(If you have trouble with the NEC drivers, alternately, you can try the drivers listed under "TEAC Corporation" manufacturer, with the driver marked "TEAC USB Floppy", following the same instructions above.)

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
Dogmentation
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Here is how to install the  SFD-321u in Windows 10:

1. Plug in the SFD-321u Floppy Drive.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Under "Other Devices" look for the SFD-321u entry.
  4. Right click it, go to "Update Driver"
  5. Click "Browse My Computer for Drivers"
  6. Click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
  7. Click "Show All Devices" at the top of the list, then click on "Next".
    (this is the main difference in steps between Win7 and Win10)
  8. Wait a few seconds for the list of manufacturers on the left side of the window to populate.
  9. Scroll down to "NEC Systems" and click on it.
  10. On the right side of the window, under "model" select "NEC USB Floppy" then click on "Next".
  11. You will get a "Update Driver Warning" about compatibility. Ignore this, and click on "Yes".
  12. Wait a few moments, and you should get the "Windows has successfully updated your drivers" screen.
  13. Click "Close".

The "NEC USB Floppy" should now show up under your list of USB Controllers, and with any luck, it should have mounted itself as the A:\ drive in your windows explorer.

(If you have trouble with the NEC drivers, alternately, you can try the drivers listed under "TEAC Corporation" manufacturer, with the driver marked "TEAC USB Floppy", following the same instructions above.)