Original topic:

Samsung Laptop Function keys are broken in software.

(Topic created: a week ago)
Server Reset
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
Function keys on Samsung Laptops are broken.

How it currently works is when you press FN then FN Lock, the f keys become their functions. This does not stick when the machine is rebooted. When you hold the FN key while FN lock is on the FN functions of the keys do not revert to standard function. If I have FN lock on and then I click FN plus F5 it doesn't do F5, it does the FN function (disables the touchpad). This just seems broken since there's no reason for it to work this way and is completely the opposite of how every other laptop manufacturer does it.

How it should work is that when you press FN then FN lock, the f keys will become their secondary functions. This should stick when the machine reboots as the current behavior causes confusion and is extremely unintuitive and annoying. Another thing is when you have FN lock on and you hold down the FN key the function keys should become the F keys. To use the previous example, if I have FN lock on and I use FN Plus F5 it should do F5 not disable the touchpad. 

Thanks for listening to my feedback, please fix it quickly as it makes the laptops infuriating to use.
13 Replies
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
It always been like this?
0 Likes
Server Reset
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
On older ones you could fix this behavior in the bios and have it stay upon reboot. Even if this is intended behavior it's wrong compared to everybody else in the industry and is super confusing and broken.
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
On my ASUS laptop, I only have the option to hold the FN key, no option in BIOS either to change it
0 Likes
Server Reset
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
On your asus if you have FN lock on it stays after reboot and if FN lock is on and you hold FN plus the function key it uses the function key instead of the secondary function, neither of which is how it behaves on Samsung laptops. It's annoying.
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
Mine functions like the ctrl key, I have to hold the FN to be able to control the functions, I don't have a FN lock
0 Likes
Server Reset
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
Oh that's annoying, on Asus laptops it's a hidden key combo but it is an available feature (I know because I tested out a flow x13 recently and it was a hidden key combo)
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
I didn't know that, let me look up mine, now I am curious
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Computers
Its a ASUS Tuf A16, the FN+ Esc didn't work