JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Assistant cannot be used when Flip is closed

(Topic created: 02-04-2024 03:35 PM)
QuantamNick
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

After I got the new Android update on my Galaxy Flip, I tried using Google Assistant to text my mother while it was closed. It was then that I realized that I couldn't, likely due to some new security features that came with the Android update. Samsung, please fix this. I know Google Assistant doesn't have anything to do with Samsung, however, you guys should be able to work with Google to fix things like this a little better. It would make for a more enjoyable phone experience.

14 Replies
userQHfygjQJXZ
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Same here this really makes me hate my phone I cannot tell it to set the alarm or ask about the weather or anything else while it's closed
flippineck
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Same happened to my Flip3 after the last update. A Samsung tech support lady remotely logged in to my phone and cleared some caches and uninstalled the latest Google app update and was eventually able, after 30 minutes, to re-enable the voice command to make a phone call with the flip closed. Trouble is, within 24 hours, it stopped working again. The cover screen acknowledges my voice ("Hi, how can I help? Flip open for more") but no longer responds in audio ("…Calling John Doe") and no call is made. If I open the phone, the voice command works as it should but I am handicapped and the main reason I bought this phone was to be able to make and receive calls with the flip closed. I'm amazed that this bug hasn't been fixed after a month.

UPDATE: Having previously ignored it, I just switched Bixby on for the first time and it fixes my problem. "Hi Bixby" with the flip closed gets my calls made. No idea if it's better or worse than Google voice recognition in other respects but both can be active at the same time - and Samsung do take responsibility for fixing Bixby since it's their app, unlike Google.

0 Likes
Dougiefresh1959
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
It is not a Samsung problem, it is a Google problem. If you rolled back Google, you should have unchecked auto-update in the play store.
0 Likes
Solution
LC1947
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

My son finally figured out how to make the outer screen work with google assistant again. I have the Flip 5. I don't know if this works on other models.

1. Go to Google app.

2. Hold Google app until the menu comes up.

3. Tap the "i" in the upper right corner

4. Tap the 3 dots.

5. Uninstall the latest Google update.

6. Go to Google Assistant.

7. Enable Hey Google and Google Voice.

8. Enable Assistant on Lock Screen.

Unless Google fixes this, you will probably need to do this every time you update the phone.

flippineck
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Thanks LC1947  - worked for me…although it may not last.

0 Likes