Original topic:

Is it worth upgrading from z flip 5 to z flip 6?

(Topic created: 5 hours ago)
Tankard
Galaxy
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
PLEASE do not turn this into a comment on another thread! I am looking for direct answers or links to reviews which will not happen if this gets collapsed into another thread like other posts. This is not asking for feedback, I am asking about features. I have asked several phone stores but unless they have a flip they dont seem very knowledgeable on the difference between the 5 and 6. Samsung support suggests the fold and avoids the question. 

I don't see any really useful upgrades but im also not seeing a lot of issues addressed in reviews, so I wanted to ask directly about what features are different between the 5 and 6. The feature I most want which is s pen screen compatibility, I know is not a feature. 
A lot of reviews sound almost identical to the 5, and while I love the 5, buying the same phone but with more AI that I have to go out of my way to turn off, feels like a downgrade to me. I can't tell if im missing features for the 6 that were added or fixed simply because they aren't being advertised or reviewed. 

Did they add samsung music back to the cover screen like the z flip 3 had? 
Ive heard they took away the gif maker too, which I use a lot which is a bummer. I did hear about the bubble for samsung messages (which is great!) but i dont want to update my current phone and lose the gif maker lol. 

Thanks for the help! 
0 Likes
7 Replies
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@Tankard Some of the benefits of the Flip 6 over the Flip 5:

• Brighter screen 2600 nits vs 1750 nits
  • Next generation of processors
  • Main camera went from 12 MP to 50 MP
  • Bigger battery
Tankard
Galaxy
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Thank you!
So its mostly smaller upgrades then? Definite improvements, but nothing crazy?
0 Likes
cleverEyes
Halo
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
The only reason I'd upgrade is from the fact I'd be resetting the "hinge doomsday" countdown. That is, my phone has 4,000+ fold acuations, but a new model would have 0.

But even then, that's not a super huge deal with these newer models.

The upgrade is so minimal that in my opinion, I'd upgrade if the price cost me only double digits.

Also, the yellow flip6 is really pretty
Tankard
Galaxy
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
That is a good point. I keep forgetting the hinges can fail since we've never had issues with the 3s. How do you tell how many times you have folded your phone? Is there a counter or estimate?

Yeah im thinking about waiting for the 7 or even 8 for trade in all things considered and hoping for more notciable upgrades. I was really hoping I was missing a feature or dex snuck in or something lol

I really hope the peach, yellow and mint are carried over to the next model!
0 Likes
cleverEyes
Halo
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Unfortunately I don't think there is a way Samsung tells you how many times you fold it. There are third party apps to do a good job telling ya though

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.roovie.foldcounter

Keep in mind it starts at zero! That sounds obvious, but some people don't get it just magically knows the "true total."

I'm waiting for later Gen as well. I'm actually a fold5 user, not a flip, but I am so jealous of how pretty the flip 6 are it makes me want to switch, despite that being a poor financial decision.

Flip 6 *technically* has DeX, or so I've heard. It's hidden super deep in developer settings and it's like a worse version of DeX, so I hope that's something that gets improved.

Your zFlip5 is actually getting an update pretty soon, OneUI 6.1.1 which'll have AI features (yay...) but the flip will now have some new auto focus tracking thingamajig.

If you feel like you're missing out, its kinda late advice, but something I always do is wirh my current model turn off a lot of the features, like turningxon battery saving to limit cpu, limit the frame rate to 60, and all that jazz.
Then when I feel like I neeeeeed to have the latest trinket I turn off all those handicaps and maybe a new case if I want to be wasteful, and it's completely "new." IMO just the case part is enough.

Well I hope you enjoyed all that text soup.
Take care, good luck with your decision!
carma
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I did because I wanted the AI but I ended up going with the Fold6 instead.
Tankard
Galaxy
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
How do you like the fold6? I don't use most AI and I get the flip for the small size factor, so I haven't even looked at what might've been upgraded on the fold lol
0 Likes