Original topic:

Issues Updating my T-Mobile Z Fold 5

(Topic created: 10-25-2023 06:46 PM)
msh21
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
Hi Samsung and all members!
I just replaced my Fold 4 (from Samsung Amazon store) with a Fold 5 from T-Mobile. First, I absolutely dislike all the T-Mobile bloatware. Secondly, I updated the phone 4 times last night and the same software update kept reappearing. I eventually had to download and manually do the software update through Smart Switch from my laptop. 

1. Is there anyway to remove all the bloatware?
2. Is there a way to make sure the Fold 5 gets software updates and installs properly without having to manually do it through a laptop? 
6 Replies
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Fold
Is your phone factory unlocked? What kind of bloatware are you referring to? Certain apps and services cannot be removed.

Regarding updates, was this update installed successfully, yet it continued to reappear? Or were you never able to complete installation on the phone?
msh21
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
I think my 4 was unlocked since I got it through Amazon. T-Mobile sent me the 5 to replace the 4 so I'm assuming it is not unlocked.
There are a couple T-Mobile apps like AppSelector and some other ones I can't recall at the moment.

The 'process' for the update would happen, and every time the phone booted back up, it was still showing me that update as being available and it wasn't being applied.
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Fold
Were you sent a brand new device? May I ask why T-Mobile replaced your Fold 4? You should be able to uninstall any or all T-Mobile apps, especially their AppCloud and AppSelector.
msh21
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
My Fold 4 somehow got a dent where the power button sits so the power button was stuck. The finger print and slide gesture worked but I couldn't press the button. The dent also caused a gap and small curve between the inner display and the frame. Through T-Mobile insurance, they were able to replace my device with a new Fold 5 with a $200 deductible. I wasn't able to pick a color though haha.
0 Likes
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
There are ways to remove bloatware, but unless you're very careful, you might end up bricking your device. Even that is recoverable, but you'd just be adding to your problems.
This is not the forum to discuss things like that, but websites like XDA Developers are full of such information if you want to learn more about the pros and cons. You would probably need to search for something like "remove bloatware from unrooted device."
For what it's worth, I've removed T-Mobile bloat from Samsung devices in years past. Now I only buy unlocked.
msh21
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
Thank you! I stopped using Samsung after the Galaxy S3. My unlocked Z Fold 4 was amazing. Not a fan of all the bloatware on this new ZF5 but it isn't a huge issue.