JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is my PIN required by UbreakitUfix it to change screen protector?

(Topic created: 02-01-2023 02:25 PM)
martyng
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

The factory screen protector has started peeling at the fold on my zflip3. I've had it since August 21 so its around 16 months in.

I took it to Ubreakitufixit in Wilmington NC where I live as advised by the Samsung website.

The technician said that I'd need to leave the phone with them for 3 hours AND he'd need my PIN as he needed to access the phone for diagnostics?

Firstly, I don't see why this is required just to change a plastic peel off layer on the phone? But also - this is a massive security issue. Once pinned into my phone he'd have access to my email accounts as well as 2 factor authentication for various banking and other financial services I use, not to mention remote access to work IT systems I maintain.

Do people normally willingly hand over this type of access to repair technicians? Isn't there a service mode on the phone that can be used to access diagnostics without giving full access?

In the end I declined to have the screen protector changed as I just can't take those security risks. I guess I'll have to youtube how to do it myself.

0 Likes
6 Replies
DAN003
Comet
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
My s21 has privacy setting for repairs
DAN003
Comet
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
It was in the one ui 5 android 13 update Screenshot_20230201_160154_Android System.jpgScreenshot_20230201_160150_Android System.jpg
martyng
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

I was assuming there was something like this. It seemed ridiculous that the guy in the store needed my pin without any security like this. When I asked him if there was some kind of service mode like this he looked at me like I was crazy. EDIT: I checked the Samsung site and it appears this is only on 1UI5, which is compatible with galaxy s21 s22 but not zflip3 at present from what I can see.

0 Likes
DAN003
Comet
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Check your settings and checkif you have this feature
0 Likes
DAN003
Comet
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
My samsung z flip 3 was repaired at a samsung experience store and it was amazing 👏 🙌
0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Hello, We certainly understand your concern for privacy during the service process. We have an article that details the steps to take before having your phone repaired. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00086466/

We apologize, there is a fault in the link for mail-in service. However, the steps for walk-in service are the same.

There is also a section for information on Maintenance Mode for phones that have updated to One UI 5.0