JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Format for microSD card

(Topic created: 07-06-2020 05:09 PM)
jackerbes
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I want to upsize my microSD card from 32 GB to 64 GB.   The card as received appeared to not be formatted at all so I formatted it to have an ntfs format.

I used ntfs as I consider that a newer and better choice but the phone did not see it.  

I copied the files that were on the 32 GB card to my laptop (running mint linux) and then copied them all onto the new 64 GB card.  

Is the ms-dos format I found on the old card the only one that would work? 

Jack

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
jackerbes
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So a "fuse" file system is what the Linux OS wants to call that 64 GB card.  That is explained here: 

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fuse.html

Being of a stubborn type, I still wondered what the actual file system on the card was so I took the card out, put it into a USB microSD card holder, and looked at it's type using the linux OS and then the gparted app.  And in the end gparted's Device Info said it was a msdos partition table... 

So I'm going away older and smarter but not really certain what I have here... :>)

Jack

View solution in context

2 Replies
jackerbes
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I got the 64 GB card in the phone and working! 

I decided to give the process described here a try:

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/mobile-devices/how-to-format-the-memory-card-in-samsung-galaxy-s9...

That lets the phone format the new 64 GB card and when that was done I copied all the files that I had save to my laptop to the new card while it was still in the phone.

I had made a "00_All My Data" folder on the 32 GB card. And all my data (images, *.mp3 music, documents, etc.) were in various subfolders in that folder. As much as possible, I don't store any of "my files" in the phone's internal storage.

It is all in the all my data folder on the card and the copying data to my laptop hard drive was described as:

18.5 GB 2843 files

There was one folder on the 32 GB card that was not copied over to the new 64 GB card. That was the hidden folder ".android_secure" and my linux laptop reported that the reason it could not be copied was a "libmtp error: Could not send object info.".

So the new 64 GB card is in place, the phone sees it and I see all my data on it as far as I can tell so far. I'll keep the original 32 GB card as a backup of course...

Thanks for your help and attention here! 

Jack

0 Likes
Solution
jackerbes
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So a "fuse" file system is what the Linux OS wants to call that 64 GB card.  That is explained here: 

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fuse.html

Being of a stubborn type, I still wondered what the actual file system on the card was so I took the card out, put it into a USB microSD card holder, and looked at it's type using the linux OS and then the gparted app.  And in the end gparted's Device Info said it was a msdos partition table... 

So I'm going away older and smarter but not really certain what I have here... :>)

Jack