cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user5qhbnCdGF5
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S7 Edge battery swelling and getting hot

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My wife is in Taiwan and when she went to a local provider to get a SIM card the guy noticed that this was happening to her S7; she hadn't noticed, it's only obvious from the side.  Anyway, her brother was concerned that this was the same as the Note7 problem and that the phone was dangerous but it is apparently a routine problem with the phone and repair shops can repair it in a couple of hours for (I think she said) about 1000NT.  That's around $30.

The guy didn't seem to think it was urgent, which is good because this was just immediately before the new year and she will be returning this week; the middle of the new year stuff.   Even two hours is probably too much to ask!

Anyway, anyone know how much the US repair shops are charging?  I don't want to try doing it myself because repairs on this type of phone (glued together) seem to take some skill and I don't want to practice on a working phone.

John Bowler

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @user5qhbnCdGF5  I'm sorry to hear your wife is experiencing this but I would like to be of assistance. Is she okay? The safety of our customers is our number one priority so if the device is becoming too warm for her to handle, I do recommend that she discontinue using it immediately. Is your wife's device a US device that she's using in Taiwan or is it a Taiwanese device she uses in the US? If you could clarify this for me, it would significantly help me in either getting the correct information for our support team in Taiwan or setting up an evaluation here. Please feel free to reach out to me in Private Messages once she returns so we can address this quickly.

user5qhbnCdGF5
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My name is John Bowler, like it says at the bottom of the message.

The phone is the dual SIM GSM model (I can't remember the model number); basically European and Asian bands though it works fine in metro US.  We haven't tried it in Japan, that's normally the problem area, doesn't work in certain areas in SW Oregon but then AT&T is really weird round here (took it to an AT&T shop in Grants Pass, they couldn't work out why it didn't find the bands, but it works fine in adjacent towns!)  It's the version with the wrap-around screen (I can't remember what you call it.)

I avoid US phones as a matter of course; unlocked phones are ridiculously expensive and, anyway, they work in far fewer countries than the Asian (excluding Japan) and European ones.

It's not getting hot (unlike the OP), it always has got "warm" from the get-go.  So it sounds like the G7 batteries are prone to overheat like the Note7 ones.  Do they catch fire too?  Sounds like it from your stock response and the nubmer of complaints.

Anyway, she took it to a local repair shop and they are going to fix it for 2000NT (1000NT was just the battery, so basically about $65 USD).  The new year was *last* week (I always forget that it ends on new years day; Feb 16 Gregorian, not starts).   She dropped it off and swapped the SIM to a spare phone so she has connectivity, should be ready this evening (Taiwan time; it's 3PM as I write.)

Normal excellent Taipei service; everything happens very fast there.

John Bowler

John Bowler

userOVVX6dFdxp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello John. My lengthy experience was rather frustrating at best. Samsung went through all the motions to appear they really cared about my situation, but after a week of several emails and then being connected by phone w. the third person I had to talk with, I was curtly informed that my S7 was SEVEN days out of warranty. At that point, Samsung refused to help in any way except to say they were sorry my $700 phone only lasted a year -- and seven days.

Fortunately, I tried another option, which may also help you. I called my phone service provider from whom I bought my phone -- TracFone/StraightTalk. I explained what had happened and they immediately emailed me a prepaid shipping label to return the phone to their own service center. Once they received it, they shipped me a refurbished replacement phone that was in excellent shape. They even credited the remaining phone service time from my old phone over to my new phone. So, give that a try. It may work for you too. Good luck.

user5qhbnCdGF5
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userOVVX6dFdxp wrote:

Hello John. My lengthy experience was rather frustrating at best. Samsung went through all the motions to appear they really cared about my situation, but after a week of several emails and then being connected by phone 

Yeah... that would have meant buying another phone, it wouldn't have been made by SamsungWoman Frustrated.  An afternoon is bad enough; that's why she didn't go for the repair option before Feb 16 (when it really was the new year shutdown).

There's no warranty; it's an unlocked overseas import via Amazon.  The warranty is pointless for us anyway; we don't have a spare phone, I don't think they offer loaners, and they can't ship it back to us (no UPS, USPS no longer ship lithium ion batteries).  Well, I do have a potential spare Xperia Z which my wife washed (it went through the wash cycle fine, but the tumble drier cracked the screen; phone still works, just can't see anything on the screen, water ingress detector wasn't even triggered!)  I'm going to repair it when I have time, the parts are reasonably priced, but that's in the future.

Anyway, looks like it will be fixed unless the guys in Taipei accidentally fry it melting the glue, so all's well.  It's a local shop, next to where my parents-in-law live, so really convenient.

John Bowler

user5yxbsadVYT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just pulled mine out of my Otterbox case and the back was swelled out and coming off.  I bought mine in Nov 2016.  Called the support line and they said it wasn't covered.  Seems like with this many complaints they should take care of it.

userRJUt0TcUX5
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It is less than 20 months and i have the same issue. This is rip off. I'm never gonna come back to Samsung.

Really upset with the purchase @@

userapasqj8ZdZ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Darn, second time in 3 months. The first time the battery cracked the rear panel. I had it repaired (new battery and back). Now it happened again although this time the glue didn't hold and the cover popped off. The battery feels like a pillow and the phone is extremely hot. This is an S7 though not S7 Edge. 

We have probably 15 or so Samsung phones now (including several more S7's) and have gone through maybe 100 to 125 Samsung phones with Sprint and while we've had battery life issues before this is the first time I've seen something like this.

Since Samsung isn't acknowledging a fault, I guess we're supposed to keep using it until it stops working or bursts maybe? Not sure what to do really.

user6QqB7aFdu4
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, today I'venoticed same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Smiley Sad after 16 months of using it, my phone got separated by battery swelling Smiley Sad

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you send me a private message with your full model code and IMEI number?  http://bit.ly/2igAXKH

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.