Original topic:

Group Chat Messages Glitching Samsung S20 FE

(Topic created: a month ago)
w064jrw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

About two weeks ago, I started noticing an issue with my phone (Samsung S20 FE). This only occurs when I am communicating via group chat, not individual text messages.

For example, lets say I am in a group chat with persons A, B, and C. If I send a message to the group chat, when Person A responds, my phone will create an entirely new message thread, "created" by Person A, that includes Persons A,B, & C, myself, and an additional copy of my phone number. Should I try to respond to this newly created chat, I recieve a direct message from my personal phone number, as if I had been texting myself. 

When Person B responds to Person A's message, an additional chat is created, including Person A,B, & C, myself, and an additional copy of my phone number. The same thing happens with Person C.

This has happened with larger group chats as well, with each person essentially creating their own group chat when they message the main chat. This issue only occurs on my phone, and is invisible to other people. They are able to respond to messages as if I was sending it to the main group chat. It only appears when they reply to the group chat, or to me.

8 Replies
Hanzypza
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same problem, any luck with fixing it?

w064jrw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have tried resetting my messages cache, resetting my network connections, and rebooting my phone. So far, nothing has been successful.

0 Likes
purplesmurf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Also experiencing
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Are you using Google messages with RCS enabled? This will happen if the other parties do not also have Google messages with RCS enabled which sends the texts back to you as SMS/MMS. This only happens with group chats. Normal messages between yourself and another party will just be sent/received as SMS.
0 Likes
userHH5vnSTjoT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So is there any fix to this?   If I turn off RCS, will that fix this issue?

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
You can try turning it off and see if it improves. Also, see if your mms settings are for group chat or mass text, you want group chat.
0 Likes
BossaNova
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Something similar happened to me in a mass text last week.
For the longest time I have a mass text with 2 other people, one who also has an android and one who has an iPhone. The iphone user responded to the mass text and their response spawned a new group chat. Now whenever I respond to the old text thread, my two friends get my texts as individual text messages. I also now can't respond to the newly created group chat message. There is no reply field.
0 Likes
Acorbett30
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same problem here. Driving me nuts! Happening with both Google Messages and Samsung messaging.

0 Likes