Original topic:

Mute All Sounds notification

(Topic created: 11-20-2023 01:11 AM)
jdthood-odesa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Mute All Sounds (MAS) is a useful feature because it can be turned on with a physical keypress combination and it doesn't have exceptions as Do Not Disturb (DND) does — so it's safe to use when one wants to be sure the phone won't make any sound, for example when one goes to the theater.

The only problem is that it is easy to forget that Mute All Sounds is turned on. MAS does not put a notification in the status bar as DND does. I would like to request that it be possible to switch on a notification option for MAS.

6 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes, but you can modify the Theater Mode (or create a new Mode) in Modes and Routines so that the mode will automatically turn off/then on the sound (and/or set the phone to vibrate) when you arrive and depart the theater location.Screenshot_20231120_100035_Modes and Routines.jpgScreenshot_20231120_095628_Modes and Routines.jpg
0 Likes
jdthood-odesa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks for this useful suggestion.

I stand, however, by my request that MAS (optionally) put a notification in the status bar. Pressing two physical buttons to switch on MAS is a quick and sure way to silence the phone, so I often do that. When MAS is enabled, I would like that fact to be shown on the lock screen and on the status bar — in the same way as I can see that DND is enabled, when it is enabled.

0 Likes
Bis225
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

TBH, this seems like such a no-brainer to me that it's mind-boggling this wasn't done in the first place, let alone still now after the feature has been around for years!

It's not just that it's easy to forget it's on. Because it's turned on by a key combination, it's easy to turn it on accidentally when just handling your phone. While we're at it, there also needs to be a feature to make it time out automatically, so when it's turned on, it's turned off again after a certain amount of time set by the user.

Come on, Samsung, use some common sense!

shanael95
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I just did this accidentally! Had no idea what had happened. What key combination turns MAS on? Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
jdthood-odesa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Simultaneously press Volume Up and Power buttons.

This shortcut can be en/disabled in Settings.

0 Likes
Bis225
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It's toggled by Power + Volume Up, as someone else already said, but here's something I recently discovered that prevents accidentally triggering MAS without disabling it altogether: It turns out this key combo isn't specific to MAS, it's a shortcut for Accessibility services in general, but MAS is the only one enabled by default. Go to Settings -> Accessibility -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Power and Volume up keys". There, you can select which features you want to associate with the key combo. If only one is selected, the key combo toggles that feature automatically. However, if you enable more than one, the key combo brings up a menu where you can select which of the enabled features you want to toggle. You can, of course, disable MAS and have the key combo do nothing. However, if you enable at least one additional feature, then if you accidentaly squeeze those buttons, instead of automatically muting sounds, you'll get a menu -- in effect, giving you a confirmation dialog. If you don't care for any of the other accessibility features, just enable the toggle labeled "Accessibility", which simply opens Accessibility Settings when it's selected.

This doesn't help with forgetting that you've enabled MAS, so it's still boneheaded of Samsung not to provide any visual indicator that it's on, but at least this way you'll be very unlikely to mute all sounds unless you intend to.
0 Likes