cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
navysurfer
Asteroid

S6 Bulging Battery

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased my S6 in Jun 2015.  I worked great for nearly a year.  For the past 6 months, I've noticed it getting incredibly hot at times, like when playing games or receiving MMS with pictures. I can actually tell that my phone is about to receive an MMS because it starts burning my leg.

Today I noticed that my phone was pushing out of its case on the left side.  I pulled the phone out of the case and saw that the back cover on the phone is delaminating near the center.  It still charges, but I only have about 4-6 hours of battery life. 

My question is, do I have any replacement, repair options available as I don't have any Warrent on the phone?  I have to use the phone and still have a year left on the payment plan I'm on through AT&T.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: S6 Bulging Battery

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Don't thank me just yet! I'm going to shoot you over a private message to get some personal contact information from you. I'm sure you're not going to want that floating around here for the public eye. You can access your messages by clicking your account in the top right of your browser on your computer or mobile device. From there you'll want to select the Envelope Icon or where it says Inbox.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

BE CAREFUL! It sounds to me like that battery may be expanding slightly when you charge it. Especially since you mentioned it gets hot. I'm going to shoot you over some contact information for our Support Team, because I know they'll definitely be able to set you up with something a lot faster than I could. 

Normally the devices themselves come standard with a 1-year warranty, but this will definitely fall into that scope of getting repaired/replaced. You should get that setup ASAP to prevent any further damage.

Support Contact Information:

1-888-987-4357

www.samsung.com/us/support

Twitter Contact

Keep me posted with what they tell you, or if you run into any problems at all. You can also reach out to me via a private message if you find it easier than updating this thread.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

navysurfer
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay, so I contacted chat support, they opened a ticket and told me to contact voice support.  Voice support said they didn't understand why she transferred me.  They also said sorry, there's nothing they can do since the phone is no longer under warranty.

I guess I'll just have to wait a few more days for my phone to catch fire and send all of my chat logs and call data to the news when this happens.  The bulge on my phone has already doubled since I first posted on this page, so I'm sure it'll be sooner than later.

But thank you Marcos for your professionalism.  You had the best customer service out of the multiple people I've talked to from Samsung today.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Don't thank me just yet! I'm going to shoot you over a private message to get some personal contact information from you. I'm sure you're not going to want that floating around here for the public eye. You can access your messages by clicking your account in the top right of your browser on your computer or mobile device. From there you'll want to select the Envelope Icon or where it says Inbox.

View solution in original post

usersfzrk9O0Wp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Like the original post, I  have a S6 purchased from Verizon in June  2016.

Last week we used it with the Samsung Gear VR. After a while it displayed an error about being too hot. Later I  noticed the center of the case was swollen and the edge of the case was splitting open.

Joe H

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @usersfzrk9O0Wp, did you also contact any other lines of support about this? Webchat, phone, even Twitter or Facebook? Maybe just contacted your carrier about a replacement or repair? Like with Navysurfer, we suggest that you not use the device until it can be looked into and fixed for your own safety.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

usersfzrk9O0Wp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I went to the Verizon store. They said I needed tp pay a $149 deductible to have my phone replaced under the Total Equipment Coverage ($9 a mo.)

Total Equipment Coverage also extends the device warranty, so I expected the device to be replaced at no cost as I consider this a manufacturer defect.

I agreethat the phone shouldn't be used as is. Since Verizon isn't honoring their Total Equipment Voverage yet, we switched to AT&T with a free upgrade to the Galaxy S7 as a DirecTV customer.

We will continue to persue a replacement Galaxy S6 from Verizon under out Total Equipment Coverage.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Probably a good call there. That seems a bit odd, shady even. That's what you pay for and seems a bit high since the warranty was extended with that too. I am glad to hear that you're not using the device that could be so dangerous and that AT&T is taking good care of you though!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

usersfzrk9O0Wp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Has anyone on this discussion received a repair or replacement phone?

My S6 was from Verizon, past the one year warranty, but supposedly covered under the Total Equipment Coverage ($9 a mo.) which extends the device warranty.

Verizon gave us a runaround long enough that we switched to AT&T and got the S8 for no cost. Verizon now refuses to deal with us as we are no longer a customer with them.

I talked to the Samsung representative at Best Buy. He examined the phone and said it is a manufacturer defect, and since I had Total Equipment Coverage with Verizon when the defect occurred, Verizon has to handle the replacement.

So I end up with an S6 I can't use, nor can I use it for trade-in. Verizon refuses to live up to their contract, and Samsung says I have to deal with Verizon even though it is a manufacturer defect.

Unsatisfied customer.

navysurfer
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, Samsung completely repaired my phone.  It was out of warranty.  This wasn't without a huge amount of stress and effort.  If you look at my first few posts, I was getting pretty frustrated. If you're serious about it, I'll explain how I was able to do it, but can't guarantee it'll work for you. 

***First things first, stop using your phone and turn it off.  The battery is unsafe, and continuing to use it could lead to injury. ***

I had noticed there were already a few threads about the s6 that I posted questions to with no response.  I posted a new thread and received a response shortly afterwards.  The reps here are very friendly and want to help.  So your first thing to do would be to make a new thread. 

When they respond, they'll most likely have you call Samsung technical support.  This is a call center located in India.  Within an hour of talking to them, my phone was blowing up with telemarketers, and has never stopped since, so be forewarned. I am on the national do not call list, but does India need to follow that?  Probably not.  Samsung technical support, was useless, they bounced me back and fourth between 3 or 4 people before they told me there was nothing they could do, or something along those lines.

That's when I got back on here and made threats about waiting for my phone to catch fire and reporting it to the news.  This was during the media frenzy surrounding the note, so it seemed to work out in my favor.

The same super friendly rep responded to me here and had me send him with details on my phone.  This was quite awhile ago, so my memory is foggy from here on.

He either gave me a customer support number in Texas to call or have me an email address.  Either way, I ended up having to take pictures of my phone from every angle and send them to an email address so they could review.  

Within a day or two, they responded saying they had sent an overnight box to me for me to send my phone in for repair.  I placed my phone in the box, and slapped the included sticker on top, then dropped it off at UPS with no charge. 

Three days or so went by, and I received an email detailing what was wrong with my phone and what was fixed.  They said the micro-usb port had a small short that was causing the battery to overheat and expand. The back cover was damaged along with the front glass.  The way they spoke was placing blame on me for this, but they still repaired everything for me without charge.

I received my phone about a week later and Haven had problems since.

So, like I said, I can't guarantee anything, but persistence paid off in my case.  Hope this answers everyone's questions.