cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich_TMNT
Asteroid

S7 display is dull / colors appear muted or washed out and cloudy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Looking for some assistance with a display issue on my S7 that just started yesterday evening.  I went to use my S7 and noticed that the display colors looked a bit "off" from normal - almost as if the blue light filter was on except, it wasn't.  I increased the brightness but that just made it worse.  The blacks are no longer a deep, rich black but instead like a very dark green.  The whites are muted too, slightly greenish.  

I restarted the phone and when the home page came up, the colors looked normal and vibrant again...but within 10 seconds it noticably switched instantly from the virbrant colors to a muted and dull color tone.  Changing themes does not make things better.  The same washed out colors appear no matter what theme I use.  What's odd is that when I go to change the Theme, the "applying theme" window has vibrant whites and rich black.  But when the theme is applied, colors are all washed out.  

I have tried changing from adaptive display and using AMOLED cinema and photo or Basic but that doesn't solve the issue.  I've turned off auto brightness and then restarted but that doesn't resolve it either.  Every time I restart, within 10 seconds after the home page loads the colors just go to a washed out and dull state.   

Anyone seen this type of behavior before and/or know how to resolve it without doing a factory reset?  I did nothing to the phone when this behavior started.  I simply picked it up to use it and noticed the display colors appeared "off" from what I was used to seeing.

Thank you.

Side by side_01_small.jpgL= at startup / R= 10 seconds after startup

Side by side_02_small.jpgTheme change screen in the middle showing deep black and vibrant white next to other screens that are dull

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userpZ54n1sOIC
Constellation

Re: S7 display is dull / colors appear muted or washed out and cloudy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have faced similar issue yesterday and fixed it without factory reset or restarting phone in safe mode. There is an hidden menu for Night Mode which only comes up from Play Book App.. 

One day i was using Play book app at night and it gave me notification saying turn on night mode for easy reading at dark.. I thought of going with that option and PDF files was very clear to read but next day at evening the same setting got turned on automatically as it got rescheduled to be turned on during sunset. (It sounds stupid but true). Colors were messed up and dull. It was the ambient display mode and on settings there is no option to turn it off. 

Solution :- Open Play Book App and any book you have on it. Click on Font icon on top (something like Aa) , click on gear icon which appears and it will take you to the setting menu of android with Night Mode setting being displayed which was not there before.. Turn off the night mode and mark schedule as never. I didnt face any issue after that.

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @rich_TMNT That is definitely weird but hopefully we can find you some answers here. Just for clarification, have you tried putting the device into Safe Mode? Safe Mode disables all 3rd party applications and helps us determine if the issue is caused by an app misbehaving or software. If you haven't, please follow the steps in this link to place the device in safe mode for 1-2 hours: http://bit.ly/1vkcs06 and monitor the screen during this time frame for any changes.

rich_TMNT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for the suggestion.  This morning I went ahead and did a factory reset and that has resolved it (although it's a huge pain).  I will absolutely keep in mind the Safe Mode idea if this should happen in the future.  It makes sense that it's an app or something causing it.

I really appreciate your response.  Hopefully this will help someone else if they encounter this in the future.

userfsC1btPY4I
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Turn off the blue light filter

rich_TMNT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Blue Light filter wasn't on, that's what's so crazy.  This issue I had definitely looked as if the Blue Light filter was on but actually turning it ON didn't do anything (or made it worse).  This issue was as if the Blue Light filter was stuck on.

While I'm here, I'll also provide an interesting aside on this issue since I had never previously seen (or heard about) anyone with this issue.  A couple months ago I was at a hockey game and I noticed the screen on the guy's phone sitting in front of me looked very dull and muted.  I could also see it was a Samsung Galaxy S7.  I watched it for a few minutes and as he switched back and forth betwen apps, the colors were just awful and washed out...just like mine used to be before I reset it.  During an intermission, I asked him about it and whether it had always been that way.  He said he bought the phone used online and then it happened just a few months after he bought it and he wasn't able to fix it.  He couldn't recall what he did that might have caused it (or what he was doing when it happened) but he just decided it wasn't a big deal.  I told him mine had done that and he could likely fix it with a complete reset of the phone.  He didn't seem to want to do that but, at least there are now 2 confirmed cases of this bizarre S7 behavior that gets stuck with muted and dull display.  

S7Edge-r
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine is doing the same thing. I remembered Google Play Books asking me if I wanted to read between certain hours with the blue light filter on. I answered yes and set the parameters. It was within a couple days off this that my colors washed out as if the filter was always on. Nothing I do in settings helps. Everything seems normal in the settings on my S7. I can't find anywhere in Google Books where I can adjust this. It's very weird.

rich_TMNT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep, it's something that just seems to happen and I still haven't found a good source of info. on why or how it happens.  Only way to fix that I know of is to completely reset the phone.  Just back everything up to Samsung Cloud and Google Cloud and then restoring it isn't much of a pain at all.  Phone actually works much faster for a few weeks after the reset, too.  Good luck!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does this occur with the phone in safe mode?

rich_TMNT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
@SamsungLarry wrote:

Does this occur with the phone in safe mode?

It did with my phone.  I restarted in safe mode and it still had washed out/muted colors.

userae3vZEUXHd
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I powered up in safe mode and still same thing