Original topic:

S9 Plus Face unlock when eyes are closed

(Topic created: 03-27-2018 01:47 PM)
userPgzejSIFfN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi,

Anyone facing this issue in S9 Plus - when using the face unlock, the phone unlocks even when eyes are closed?

Even when Iris scan is enabled, it unlocks when eyes are closed.

-S
JUMP TO SOLUTION
24 Replies
Hercules123
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yeah I agree. Friends with iPhones report zero problems with their face recognition

0 Likes
userSl4gTmi0OC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Samsung just failed to deal with this issue, although many brands have this option to require open eyes like apple face id, that im sure they knew it but to monover on the face recognition in there advertismets they just, ignored it. Which makes it, a garbege , and let me tell to the person who was almost saying dont sleep with people u dont trust, u can leave your phone compeletly unlocked! As u trust... but people want some privesy. 

0 Likes
mauritomontoya
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I think the feature is a fraud because it's supposed to be a COMBINATION of those two things, face and iris, not choosing among them, and probably most people will think it's a more secure lock, when it's not, because your phone will be unlocked just pointing the screen at your face and not using the iris as a second security factor. Misleading advertising that can be used for security breaches. 

0 Likes
userWsC4KYvPjr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Great find to the OP, kinda wondering how he discovered that lol.  But I agree with the those that have mentioned that 'Intelligent Scan' is supposed to be a combination of the 2 and therefore would make sense that it is more secure.  However on my new Note 9 it is not, so I stick to my hidden draw pattern that has sooo many dam turns that the code ends up being something like 12374784784907574 long.  Haha 

Which in reality is actually the safest and most secure out of ALL the methods out there cause Face: unlocks with a pic or even eyes closed.  Pin: too short anyone can remember.  Iris: If asleep, drunken passed out or knocked out in a fight, or even dead anyone can simply open eyelids and one will suffice (which also applys to Fingerprint method).  And last but not least iphones supposed revered Face ID can be done with a mannequin or 3D model made to resemble you. 

So in conclusion Pattern is the ONLY fool proof method that is actually protected by the 5th Amendment so authorities would need a warrant to convince you to draw your pattern.  And where captures would need you to be awake and consciously able to scribble your pattern in, so not even completely drugged can they get you to do it, trust me I know and please don't ask how.  Haha

Good day.

0 Likes
Hercules123
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have a brand new Galaxy S9 and I WISH it would Face Unlock with eyes closed. It actually recognizes the face half the time and works only intermittently. 

It seems to be greatly affected by the light angle or something.  I can be holding the phone in exact the same position and lock it with the power button and then bring it back and half the time, without changing anything in my position it would unlock, and half the time it would not.

Not sure what affects it so greatly. Starting to think my front camera is faulty.

Any ideas on how to make this work better?

0 Likes