cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pappydsp
Asteroid

email PDF attachments not opening in S7

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having difficulties in opening PDF files from emails on my Galaxy S7.  When I click on the Adobe PDF icon on the email I'm asked if I want to view or save it.  When I click the view option the Adobe program seems to open but quickly disappears without opening the file.  The same thing happens when I attempt to save the file. 

I eventually found the missing PDF file located within the Samsung "My Files" folder.  Upon clicking the file icon in my files the document opened as it should. 

My questions is: Is there a way that I can get my email program to open the PDF file directly from the email or do I have to continually go to "My Files" to find and open the document?  Both my AOL and Verizon email accounts will not let me open a PDF file directly from an attachment.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pappydsp
Asteroid

Re: email PDF attachments not opening in S7

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks superman.  clearing the cache and data did not help but I think I found a solution.  I believe the problem was with Google Drive being the default app.  I cleared the Drive default: settings to applications, default applications, set as default, to Drive, then I cleared it as default.  I was able to click on the pdf and it opened with the adobe reader.

35 REPLIES 35
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You should be able to just click the PDF and it should download and launch by the default app. 

you may need to clear defaults on the default app and while you are there also clear the cache on that app (adobe). Also I sugest using another PDF viewer (like google has one). 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

pappydsp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks superman.  clearing the cache and data did not help but I think I found a solution.  I believe the problem was with Google Drive being the default app.  I cleared the Drive default: settings to applications, default applications, set as default, to Drive, then I cleared it as default.  I was able to click on the pdf and it opened with the adobe reader.

Smileyface10
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also have a S7 and cannot open PDF from email.  Adobe Acrobat Reader is set as a "default" app yet when I click the file in my email (I get the option to either VIEW or SAVE) and click VIEW,  I get "cannot find application to open".  If I choose SAVE, the PDF displays in the "My Files" folder.   I would like to open the PDF direct from email.  There must be something triggering it to not open at all.   (My "Google Drive" is not set as default either.) 

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there, Smileyface10. It is a pleasure having you here in our Samsung Community and we are happy to see you reaching out to your fellow members for support. We recommend including additional information about your question or inquiry. This would include the full model number of your device, the email domain you are downloading these files from (gmail, hotmail, or other), and if these files are in a specific format when downloading from your email. This information may help the community to better understand and evaluate what you are experiencing. 

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Smileyface10 wrote:

I also have a S7 and cannot open PDF from email.  Adobe Acrobat Reader is set as a "default" app yet when I click the file in my email (I get the option to either VIEW or SAVE) and click VIEW,  I get "cannot find application to open".  If I choose SAVE, the PDF displays in the "My Files" folder.   I would like to open the PDF direct from email.  There must be something triggering it to not open at all.   (My "Google Drive" is not set as default either.) 

@Smileyface10 uninstall Acrobate and try again. 

Smileyface10
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Superman, I removed Acrobat Reader as you suggested and then reinstalled it with no luck.  I get the same error message (Cannot find application to open file...) on my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone (model #SM-G930V) and my Samsung tablet (model #SM-T800) whenever I click to open a PDF file through email (Yahoo).  

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Let me be more clear. Uninstall Adobe Acrobat and do not install it and go through the same scenario. What happens then?

Smileyface10
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I uninstalled Adobe and the file still did not open. I did additional troubleshooting to provide more feedback:

I emailed the Yahoo email (w/PDF attachment) to my Gmail email and was able to open the attachment. Also, when I open the Yahoo attachment through the same email on my laptop the attachment reads "PDF" and shows the Adobe symbol. What's interesting is that on my Samsung cell or tablet the attachment doesn't read "PDF" or show the Adobe symbol. In fact the typical red "paper" outline signifying that it's a typical PDF file shows the outline as green and blue. Thoughts?
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It looks like something id happening with Yahoo mail and the pdf attachment is loosing its property.
Frankly I have not used Yahoo mail for a long time and my Yahoo mail gets pulled in to my Gmail (to get all my emails in on location).