cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
escapism2to1
Asteroid

"Failed to restore data" Error - Please help get my text messages back!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I recently reset my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge back to Factory Default Settings, but before doing so I performed several Backups to my Samsung Account. (So I went to Settings -> Backup and reset -> Back up my data (under Samsung Account option), then selected "Clock", "Messages", "Phone", and "Settings", and clicked "Back Up Now")  Each backup completed successfully.  Now that I've reset my phone back to Factory Default Settings I've gone into the "Backup and reset" setting and chose "Restore" from Samsung Account and every field restores successfully EXCEPT for the Messages.  It gets to 25% and stalls for awhile, then jumps to 27% and shortly thereafter it errors out with the following message "Failed to restore data.  A network error has occurred. Some data is missing. To prevent losing the missing data permanently, try restoring your data again before backing up."  Then underneatch a smaller error message pops up that reads, "Failed to restore My profile section saved in Contacts."  I've attached a screenshot of this error.  I have tried everything - Resetting back to Factory again and choosing not to connect my Gmail account and only connect my Samsung account, vice versa, not connecting to either account and just going directly into the Samsung Restore, but each and every time it does the exact same thing....Restores everything EXCEPT my Text Messages!  And I have made sure NOT to turn on the Backup feature in my Samsung Account so the last successful Backup still shows the one I performed on July 28, 2016 at 5:24PM (EST).  I really really really would like my backed up text messages back.  Please help! Thanks, Len

Screenshot_20160729-040444.png

Model number:  SM-G935T

Android Version: 6.0.1

Build number:  MMB29M. G935TUVS2APB8

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SamsungAsh
Galaxy

Re: "Failed to restore data" Error - Please help get my text messages back!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey everyone, 

It's completely understandable to want your back up to work especially after a factory data reset. 

I recommend that you all try going under Settings>Accounts, removing and then re-adding the account. 

Next, going to Backup and reset, and restore once again. 

If you have tried this and you are still experiencing issues, I would suggest contacting the Samsung Account help line: 1-855-795-0509

They would be able to further help with your Samsung Account and Cloud experiences. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

45 REPLIES 45
vbownswow
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey!

Just answering to confirm that i have the exact same bug with my text messages on android 6.0.1 but on my galaxy s5 (SM-G900F) for me it stops at 35% though

Hope this gets resolved soon!

EDIT 30 min after original post: I tried downloading the backups on my old galaxy s2 phone and there i also get an network error when trying to download them.

EDIT 2: My galaxy s2 phone now gives the error "server is busy handling other request. Try later"

escapism2to1
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Boy oh boy are you going to be shocked by this! I just got off the line with a very intelligent, patient, thorough Samsung Tech Support Representative and he dug deep to research this issue and found a report in the Samsung Database that states, Text messages are not backed up and restored if there are more than 1,000 text messages on the phone. I and the representative I spoke to were completely shocked by this finding. He had no idea this was an issue and was shocked to uncover this info. He was very apologetic and said if he could find anyway to escalate this he will. All I can say is this is a HUGE oversight on #Samsung 's part! When I backed up my texts I received no error stating the Backup failed, or a warning stating only 1,000 texts could be backed up & restored. If I had known this I would've used my free GOSMS Pro app and backed up my Messages there because it has no problem at all backing up to a .Zip file and restoring every single SMS & MMS Message consistently & efficiently! I am really disappointed in #Samsung for not taking accountability for this issue in over 4 years now (first issue I found reported on this exact problem dates back to 2012). Why this IMPORTANT bit of information is not divulged & made clear to its consumers is beyond my understanding. This needs to be escalated and a serious solution needs to be put in place...even if that means copying the same program features from GOSMS Pro's backup & Restore functionality. I thank the Samsung Phone Representative I spoke with today for getting to the bottom of this and his empathy toward the situation & accountability & ownership showed in wanting to make this right.

Aghutchison
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow. This just happened to me too. Furious.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there, guys. We are glad to have you here in our Samsung Community and are glad to see you reaching out to your fellow members for help. We recommend including information about your device in regards to your question. This would include your full model number, carrier, and if you are attempting to complete while on a Wi-Fi or mobile network. You may also utilize the Smart Switch PC application for backing up and restoring information. 

Aghutchison
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SM-G900P, Sprint, WiFi, and isn't it a little too late for Smart Switch since i already wiped my phone?

Some of my messages restored, no rhyme or reason to which one's it seems. None of my boyfriend's did, so I assumed it was because that's the thread that has the most texts, but I have other threads which must have more than 1000 texts too. Also, my big group text didn't restore either.

I've tried multiple times and sometimes the failed restore wipes out all of the messages it had previously restored, or some show up and disappear again during the restoration process itself.

Oh, and like the OP, I received no errors when backing up.

Aghutchison
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

By the way, I had 4 years of messages between my boyfriend and I and they are gone. I really loved seeing those early ones in my timehop lately, and now they're gone. 

Winewitme
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm very up set too. I had important info in this back up.

Lemaclellan
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, the same thing just happened to me and I have had no issues with saving the backups.  But the restore like others is not functioning.  

My model is sm-g900w8 on the bell netwirl have tried while connected and disconnected from WiFi 

SamsungAsh
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey everyone, 

It's completely understandable to want your back up to work especially after a factory data reset. 

I recommend that you all try going under Settings>Accounts, removing and then re-adding the account. 

Next, going to Backup and reset, and restore once again. 

If you have tried this and you are still experiencing issues, I would suggest contacting the Samsung Account help line: 1-855-795-0509

They would be able to further help with your Samsung Account and Cloud experiences. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.