s7 edge rear camera glass broken

SOLVED
Asteroid

s7 edge rear camera glass broken

i just realixed that the glass ther protrudes on the rear camera of the s7 edge is shattered in a perfect circle around the lens. The phone has a military grade case, and has never been dropped. I went to take a shower and left it on the window sill. As i retraced my steps, i went back to the window sill and sure enough there are little pieces of glass, as if the glass literally began disintegrating. Costumer support is saying that it is my fault, that i may have dropped the phone, but i can assure anyone that the phone was and has not been dropped. The entire phone is made out of glass, if i would have dropped it, i believe more of the phone would have been damaged not just a perfect circular ahnialation of glass from the camera. Verizon wants to charge me more than what i paid for to replace the phone that is literally a month old, and Samsung wants to charge me to send my business phone to get it repaired. Anyone have any idea what i can do to alleviate this problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by SamsungShan (Comet)
‎07-27-2016 03:32 PM

Re: s7 edge rear camera glass broken

Hi, everyone. I wanted to personally thank you for being active members of the community and want you to know that we understand this growing frustration and concern over something that seems quite unexplained.

We do see there are quite a few interesting theories, and although we cannot speculate on each individuals' situation, we would like to assure you that Samsung does take many different conditions into consideration when constructing our devices. Our desire is to always make high quality products for our customers and we strive to be leaders in quality. Although some unforeseen things may come, we do believe this is an isolated occurrence and do not want to place blame on anyone.

The best way to determine what caused your specific issue, is to send the unit in for service so that Samsung technicians can look at it firsthand.  Feel free to reach out to us on any channel:

@SamsungSupport on Twitter or

Samsung Support on Facebook or

By phone at 1-800-Samsung.

We appreciate your being a loyal Samsung customer.

218 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor (Elite)

There has been lot of posts about all glass S7 series. I'm not clear why Samsung didn't use Gorilla glass or similar technology. Seems a bit unthoughtful for Samsung. At least there is no mention of the glass anywhere in Samsung web pages. Makes you wonder why.

Send it in for repair. No reason to buy a new phone.
Need a spare phone while it is gone?
EBay has lots of them. Make sure your sim card fits.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=162034543786&alt=web

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Would you happen to know an average cost of just replacing the little glass square in front of the rear camera?

Esteemed Contributor (Elite)

Call this place and ask. They are really good at what the do.

http://www.cupertinophone.com

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Good afternoon,

I posted earlier today in regards to my S7 rear camera lens shattered and some how missed your post before I wrote it. You're situation is exactly like mine, sadly the difference is the 'setting/place'. I realized mine while at my attorneys' office conference room , and it had been sitting in the same spot for 2+ hours and mine has never been dropped either. I paid full retail price for this phone because of all the features and advancements its supposed to have, so I definitely am not careless after paying over $800 total with case! My rear camera lens shattered without me even using the phone, just like yours did, in a perfect spiderweb circle. I immediately went to my carriers store to show them, I even carried it inside on a nonslip binder, because I was afraid it would fall out completely. The sales rep accused me for it as well, then had the nerve to pick it up and push on the cracked area with his thumb followed by using his finger nail, which he made the lens look like somwthing had puncher it rather than leaving it alone. Sadly, this was before anything was discussed or even given approval to mess with my phone, and then he and his manager told me I would have to buy a phone at retail cost or contact samsung. Which, had I known I needed to contact samsung since I am  still under the 30 day warranty, I would have never went to a Verizon store just so they could pole at my shattered lense. I was told the exact same thing as you were once I was able to speak to someone. I wish they would believe us and actually replace our phones woth Brand New phones to send these bad lens phones back for them to figure it out. Not go without a pho e for 10 days and then my warranty will be out and likely would be SOL'd on that too.

One question: Did you ask for a refund if they won't replace with a new phone or fix for free? And if so, Did they refuse to give you a full refund, too??

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

I thought both the S7 and S7 Edge used Corning's Gorilla Glass 4.

See http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/products-with-gorilla/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge

Gorilla glass is great against scratch-prevention, but this new version 4 glass is *supposed* to be less prone to shattering resulting from drops (or so, they claim).

Asteroid

well i called samsung and after a few heated arguements about all this bs i was able to speak to someone that said i could ship my phone to them at no cost, they would take a look and either replace or repair my phone and in an expedited way. they gave me a total of 5 days timeframe, and said i would not have to pay anything. I emphasized that i will not be paying for any repair costs because it was no tmy fault that thire phone disintegrated on me, and the rep assured me that i wooul not have to pay a dime. The weekend is here so i will be sending it it first thing monday morning and we shall see what they tell me. Verizon wanted to cahrge me 200 bucks even though it is under manufacturers warranty for a "certified like new" phone and i told them to f themselves . i paid full price for a brand new 100% working phone not a used phone. i shall keep yall updated once my phone is received if you would like 

Constellation

My Galaxy S7 Edge camera glass also broke after 1 week of use. I really don't know how it happend. Didn't drop the phone or hit something. Its even in a Spigen rugged armor case!

I think its a manufacturer's fault. Maybe there is some kind of weird pressure on the glass when the phone gets hot which causes it to crack.

Tap
Constellation

Same problem with my phone. I sent it to Samsung to repair because I didn't want to risk ruining the water tight seal. Final price for repair $71.00.

I had no choice. I will try to get a refund if this is a design flaw.
Cosmic Ray

Same exact thing happened to me!!!!! Its in a otterbox!!!! Why the hell should I pay for a stinking deductible?