cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useraNJQZv8WIR
Asteroid

Can't disable auto hyperlinks to calendar in text messages

This problem has already been reported, but someone mistakenly marked it as solved, and as of today November 1, 2019, there is still no solution. 

Problem:

Using the Samsung Messages app, any words typed that include day names (today, tomorrow, monday, tuesday... etc) and even hours (1pm, 5pm, 3am) are auto converted into hyperlinks without the users permission. This includes both messages that the user types themselves and all incomming text messages.

These auto links always link to the Samsung calendar app. Currently this "feature" is enabled by default and there seems to be no way to disable this.

It is annoying and confusing to read through your text messages when you see these links appearing when you didnt put them there on purpose. It is also dangerous and buggy since you may be reading or sending important text messages to someone or asking for emergency help and there is a chance you might click on one of these auto links by mistake which take you out of the messaging app. 

Also this "feature" now breaks all intentional hyperlinks to websites that have any of those time, day and hour based keywords in the link name. If your link was www.mywebsite.com/timesheet/monday

Your link would now be broken and clicking on it would bring you to the Samsung calendar app instead of opening the web browser to your actual link. 

What we need:

This feature should be DISABLED by default and only enabled as a button in the settings. From the original posting, 100% of the commentors wanted this feature disabled.

Temporary solution until Samsung fixes this:

I am going to try setting the Google Messages app as the default messaging apo. Strangly both this app and Googles app are both using the generic "Messages" name for the app and almost identical icons that look like a chat text bubble from a cartoon. I believe that the Samsung Messages app icon has 3 dots in the center. I will disable the Samsung Messages app and see if the Google Messages app behaves correctly by NOT generating auto hyperlinks to the calendar app.

Note:

Please do not mark this posting as a solution until Samsung actually fixes this app. Currently this app is still broken.

14 REPLIES 14
userP9WZCnkske
Constellation

Re: Can't disable auto hyperlinks to calendar in text messages

I second this request:

This feature should be DISABLED by default and only enabled as a button in the settings. 

userk5xithLhrb
Asteroid

This is incredibly annoyin . Why would someone ever think this was a feature to be released. Why would I want every mention of today, tonight etc to be a hyperlink to a calendar. Please tell me how to stop this??

useraNJQZv8WIR
Asteroid

This problem is still not solved as of November 9, 2019.

Samsung_avWoubd posted his solution in another thread here, which is to click on a button in the top left of the messages list. There is no button on top left, only top right. He then said to click on advanced settings and advanced button, but there is no advanced settings and no advanced button in the options.

I was able to find a button in the settings under "more settings" called "enable web previews".. but I had already disabled this many months ago, yet the day/date link bug/feature is still happening. I tried enabling and disabling "enable web link preview" and this still does not solve this problem at all. "Enable web link preview" allows you to see a simple screenshot of a website URL. It does not affect the messages app auto generating calendar links when you type words like "today, tomorrow, 3pm, 11:15am, etc...".

We need an actual solution as this is still an unsolved problem.

userswFeiOmOAQ
Constellation

Exact same problem- Text messages creating hyperlink to calendar with words today, tonight, tomorrow, days of the week names and more. Tried cache and reset. Waiting on a real solution.

S10e ATT using default messenger

useraNJQZv8WIR
Asteroid

This is a major problem and we need a fix in the software as there is currently no way to disable this in the options and it is mistakenly enabled by default when we havent seen even one person on these forums praising it or wanting it. 

To clarify, all Samsung phones running the latest OS and latest version of Samsung messenger will automatically convert all standard text that refers to the date or time into unwanted hyperlinks to the calendar app. This breaks real web hyperlinks if they contain anything remotely looking like a day, date, month or time.

Offensive words that become auto hyperlinks to the calendar app are:

Month names

Day names

Weeks

Any time notation (1pm, 2pm, 2:30pm, 7am, etc)

And possibly a lot more. 

This feature/bug needs to be fixed and removed asap.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

userK6UVw7yeLv
Astronaut

We are not just looking to give feedback... we are looking for an update to allow us to disable this annoying "feature"

userUIwXYC9zao
Constellation

After recent update, calendar links created in messaging

Forced to do an update on my S10 today which updated some security settings but also added changes to the messenger. The most of annoying of which is whenever you type today, tomorrow, or even a time (ie 9:00am) it is automatically turned into a hyperlink that leads to the calendar app. Samsung calls it a "smart feature" but for the most part their smart features just end up being big annoyances lately with these silly updates. If anyone has figured out how to disable this feature please tell me. Otherwise, Samsung you need to push another update to disable this infuriating and useless feature. 

useraNJQZv8WIR
Asteroid

Re: After recent update, calendar links created in messaging

I fully agree. There are now several threads here asking the exact same thing. Everyone wants this "feature" removed completely or auto disabled.