Original topic:

Wireless charging not working properly after the batch of different software updates over the winter

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
WillL84
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Ok so I use a QuadLock case and wireless charger for my S20+ on my motorcycle. Up until I stopped riding for the winter it worked flawlessly. I don't use any other wireless charger although I do have one at work.

Fast forward to this spring and the wireless charging is VERY intermittent. Won't charge at all, won't charge until like 20 minute sinto the ride then it starts, other times it works perfectly. I assumed it was an issue with the quadlock charger so I was chatting with them, sending videos and whatnot and they sent a replacement under warranty.

I'm having the identical issues now with the replacement charger. For kicks I dug out my wireless charger at work that's always worked and it won't charge my phone now either. I also tried without a case on both chargers and nothing. The QuadLock charger on my motorcycle worked last week Tuesday through Thursday but refused to work at all Friday and this morning.

I've gone through the settings and Fast Charging, Super fast charging and Fast wireless charging are all turned on. I even tried turning them all off and then back on but that didn't help.

Is anyone else having issues after the batch of winter updates?

9 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Disclaimer: I don't have a phone with wireless charging, but it appears to me that the wireless charging apparatus inside the phone may be failing if it won't charge on any wireless charger.  How were you charging your phone all winter, wired charging? Have you run a diagnostic on your phone?  You can find the diagnostics in the device care section of your settings.  There should be a diagnostic component for wireless charging and cable charging (mine only shows cable charging, but probably only because I don't have wireless)

0 Likes
WillL84
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It's not that it won't charge on any charger, it just seems to be intermittent as to when it wants to charge. Sometimes I'll pop it on the QuadLock and it starts charging and has no issues. Other times it refuses to start. Once it's charging it never stops charging though, it always charges until it's taken off the charger.

When not on the motorcycle it's always wired charging, be it at home or in the car as my car doesn't have wireless AA so it needs to be plugged in. As such the last time I used the wireless charging was the last time I rode last year - probably late October or early November.

I don't see any wireless charging diagnostics in the Device Care section either, there's a section for Battery, Storage and Memory then Enhanced processing, Auto optimization, software update and maintenance mode under that.

Tapping on the battery section brings up the battery info which has Charging Settings but that only has the options I listed above.

I've attached screen shots of the device care sections.

Screenshot_20240429_111835_Device care.png

Screenshot_20240429_111842_Device care.png

Screenshot_20240429_111847_Device care.png

Screenshot_20240429_111852_Device care.png

0 Likes
WillL84
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I did find this though - the Samsung Members app has diagnostics.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/issues-with-wireless-charging/

I tried it but since it won't detect the charger it won't run the diagnostic

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones

if it won't detect the charger, then it most likely is the internal mechanism, IMO.

0 Likes
WillL84
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Do they just go bad randomly? I wouldn't think so. The phone hasn't been dropped or anything.

It's just strange that it's intermittent. It'll work perfectly for a few days then just not work at all
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Like any mechanical thing they can go bad randomly. You may not have dropped it but I'm sure that there's a lot of vibration on the motorcycle that may have caused some jiggling.
0 Likes
WillL84
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
There is some vibration in the bars but I use their vibration damper adapter. Strange
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Here's how to get to the phone diagostics:
1714405152522.jpg1714405152564.jpg1714405152599.jpg1714405152640.jpg
0 Likes
WillL84
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
My phone doesn't have that. I had to download the Samsung Members app to get that. The app looks exactly like that as well
0 Likes